Anyone runnig a 700r4 behind a BBC?

A

Anonymous

with how much power? im running a th400 but have 815 horsepower. i ran a SBC with a 700r4 behind it with like 450HP and it held up fine but had it built.

BBC81Malibu

Amateur Racer
Aug 2, 2008
Atlantic City, NJ
Hey fellas, maybe i could share some info on this topic: my buddy has a 700+ hp BBC in his nova and is running a 700r4 trans that was built by Art Carr. I can certainly say that it has held up very well under some extremely abusive treatment done by buddy purposely. The only isolated problem he had was a reverse gear pressure ring explode that was later determined to be a flaw in the parts metallurgical makeup, after extensive parts analysis + x-ray inspections. Art Carr actually paid for and supplied the parts to a local race trans rebuilder (certified to do warranty work by ACarr) to repair the damages. The car still ran just fine in all forward gears - even w/ him still abusing the trans before the repairs. Art Carr himself no longer owns that company and the people that now run it are not capable of building a 700r4 to that level (Think Art took some tricks of the trade with him) When I tried to look into a 700 trans with the new guys they simply cringed at the thought of using one of theirs with anything in the 550 - 600+ hp ranges, so i decided not to buy one from them. Art Carr now started a new company called (California Performance Transmission) - IIRC. He now advertises a 2004r thats capable of 750+, which will probably take quite a bit more as he seems to somewhat under rate his stuff. My buddys trans wasn't rated as high as Arts newer stuff. Sorry for the very long post, just some fyi to maybe consider looking into.

A

Anonymous

I had a 700R4 Behind a 440 ci Pontiac in a 86 SS monte fully loaded ran 11.50 on slicks and 160 mph all out on the hwy lived thru three engines and alot of years. I heard that car is in FL somewhere still running hard.

9second80BU

Weekend Racer
Ok this is good info. I wont feel bad putting the 700 behind a BBC. Most tend to use a PG or th400. I do not want to look like a screwball ...... 8-[

Thanks for the input!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts