Anti Sway bar VS Anti Roll bar

tommi3520

Weekend Racer
Nov 14, 2011
For me who is first of all building a fast street 79 malibu that needs to corner and handle well , what are the ups and downs regarding:

A sway bar seen below:
Chevelle-Rear-Sway-Bar-A-Body-Rear-Sway-Bar-Malibu-Rear-Sway-Bar-2.jpg

and

A anti roll bar seen below:
5182060116_large.jpg

It looks like its more simple to do the sway bar. I live in iceland so its expensive for me to order those in so i may have to build a sway or andti roll bar.

Tomas

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
if it's just a street car, not going to be raced, then you have no need for a weld-in anti roll bar, as shown in the 2nd pic. those are for drag racing. stick with a sway bar.

tommi3520

Weekend Racer
Nov 14, 2011
thanks for the answer, yeah i think ill go with the sway bar because its simpler.

Are these bars designed to do the same thing? or is a anti roll bar more for drag racing and sway bar more for slot racing? or is the anti roll bar just a more professional body roll problem solver?

im building a slot car

Tomas

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
The roll resistance of an anti-roll bar is way too much for street/handling use. During cornering it will immediately lift the inside rear wheel and break traction. As an example, we have a huge anti-roll for G-body (1-3/8" dia tubular). Our street bar is 1" diameter tubular and will still lift the inside tire easily in some cases. We are evaluating 3/4" for road race use at this time.

ramey

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts