#906 Vortec Heads

WhiteBu

Daily Driver
Jan 18, 2010
Shawn F. said:
Thanks for the info guys. When it comes to heads I am a complete idiot and know very little about them. I am going to buy the 290HP Crate motor heads for now and use them on the El Camino but for my 63 Chevy II wagon I will run the Vortecs or the aluminum ZZ350 heads that they come with which I am guessing are a little better than Vortec?
For the El Camino I am hoping to push 350-360 HP but now with the heads I am running and cam I doubt I will even hit 310... ](*,) Oh well, as long as it's reliable and half way decent on fuel I will be happy. I will be running this 355 with a TH350 transmission (unless I find a VERY good deal on a rebuilt 200-4r) and the 2:56 gears so mileage is probably not going to be so well. The only thing that helps is the 2:56 gearing. The TH350 is killing me but then again around town it should be good for stop and go. :?

Funny you should mention crate motor heads.
That is exactly what my present motor has.

Here's the description from GM's catalog:
CYLINDER HEADS:
12356026 Cast iron head with 1.94” intakes
and 1.50” exhaust valves. Used on our 350
HO, this head is a good performance head
to 6000 RPM and the 64cc combustion
chambers yield a 9 to 1 compression ratio.

My 'Bu's 355 had 250 miles on it when I bought the car and the guy bought the heads brand new from GM so I'm sticking with these heads for the foreseeable future.
No, they don't flow near what Vortec's do but they'll "do". Nothing a little spray won't take care of. ;)
They ARE center bolt valve covers (no leaks) BUT they have the old intake bolt pattern (GOOD!)e.

Any idea what part number the head is you're looking at?

No, I'm 90% sure the ZZ350 heads do not flow as well as the Vortec's.

As for your gearing and transmission worries......DON'T worry.
With 2.56's and the 350 turbo, you have a "built in" overdrive.
Put a 200-4R in front of those gears and you'll be barely idling at highway speeds.
With a 200-4R, you could run 4.11's and STILL not turn the RPM's you do now on the highway with the 350 turbo and 2.56's.
More gear and the slightly deeper first of a 200-4R would be a BLAST in your car.....kinda like what I'd like to do, actually.

I have 3.73's and a 350 turbo right now.
It turns some RPM on the highway but nothing catastrophic by any means.
But mine is not a daily driver, either.

Ain't overdrive awesome? :p

big-angry-hillbilly

Amateur Racer
Mar 28, 2009
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I have vortec heads on my ~350CI.

Solid lifter cam, RPM air gap.

Cam specs, secret.

Makes 470HP and 465FT-LBS, all in by 6500 RPM.

DUAL PLANE INTAKE, on PUMP GASOLINE.

Car has a 3500 10" converter in it.

The heads HAVE been worked, and have big valves in 'em. Aside from that, I'm not at liberty to say.

fastheavychevy

Amateur Racer
Nov 30, 2009
Professional products make an air gap intake #52026 I just put one on my car. It will fit vortec or non vortec heads. 136.00 on ebay. the center bolt holes are slotted and come with some adaptor washers. just do a search on ebay with that part number. the heads sound good to go offer him 400.00 then work your deal from there. or buy some procomp heads ready to go 695.00 ebay only the castings are procomp every other hardware is higher grade from skip white performance on ebay. let us know what happens
Shawn F. said:
I am debating on getting them or not but like you said, then I need an intake manifold which I am sure will be $300 unless I can find a used Edelbrock Performer one for fairly cheap and used.
How about the '72 3256 heads? Anyone know if these are half way decent? I can always do a head and intake swap later down the road and right now just focus on getting this 355 put into the car and driving.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
big-angry-hillbilly said:
Cam specs, secret.

The heads HAVE been worked, and have big valves in 'em. Aside from that, I'm not at liberty to say.

Would you be willing to divulge privately? :lol: I have no plans to race, but if I make a 383 out of this 350 I'll probably be putting a bigger cam in, and plan on driving the car pretty regularly.

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.

Cam specs, secret.

-WOW-

big-angry-hillbilly

Amateur Racer
Mar 28, 2009
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
lilbowtie said:

Cam specs, secret.

-WOW-

Just stating the limitations of the heads, as someone was asking.

There is a guy on the chevelles board running a single, non intercooled turbo running 8.60's with Vortec heads.

WhiteBu

Daily Driver
Jan 18, 2010
Here's info on that 8 second Vortec-headed single turbo Chevelle.
Check out the mild cam (230/236 @ .050" duration HYD. roller!) and gears (3.73's)!
Can you imagine being able to drive that thing to the local cruise and then rip off 8's?
Does it get any better than THAT? :mrgreen:

Admit it, ladies and gentlemen........this Chevelle is the biggest sleeper on the planet!!

VortecChevelle.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts