8.8 ? with baseline kit

xxxfoxbody

Weekend Racer
Jun 29, 2011
cecilia, ky. 42724
i have a 8.8 rear with the baseline kit uppers and lowers. my problem is i can't get the pinion angle correct. the car is really low. does ride height have any affect on pinion angle? thanks for the help! brian

chevybowtie

Feb 24, 2011
yes lowering the car affects pinion angle. the control arms are mounted to the body. if you lower the body you change the control arm angles which changes the angle of the rear end housing. do you have adjustable control arms? i got the baseline kit as well, but have adjustable control arms.

edit: just read in your post that you have baseline uppers and lowers #-o

Can you get the same angle between the trans and rear end housing? or are they two diferent angles and you cant bring them to be the same?

79CMC

Daily Driver
Mar 24, 2009
Gents, I know the thread is a few months old (but newer than the ones from 2008 that I've found), but I'm curious about doing this swap into my 79 Monte. Any advice? Which year and models work best for the G-bodies? Any way I could also pull a rear with disc brakes? Thanks for the help.

pwr6kid

Nov 15, 2010
79gmc, I used a Lincoln MK7 lsc rear with disk brakes in my 84 Monty. As for advice get spherical upper housing joints and the base line boxes and upper control arms. I was able to use the stock drive shaft and stock lower control arms. I recommend that you get good spherical lowers or move the brackets since there about a 1/2 inch off but can be pushed into the mounts since the rubber bushings flex a bit. I got a gm 3R to 1350 ujoint and a spicer 8.8 1350 flange. As for the brakes I made new lines, I have heard the stock 7.5 fittings will work on the 8.8, don’t know didn’t bother looking. Shocks were simple I was able to use stock shocks in the stock mounting points on the chassis and stock points on the rear. I recommend new shock mounting points since the stock shock limits downward travel to ~3” if you want more. Hope this helps you out some. I know it helped me at the track, my car went from 2.2 60 ft to 1.8 with the baseline upper box kit alone.

79CMC

Daily Driver
Mar 24, 2009
pwr6kid-sweet, thanks for the info. I pretty much figured no one would respond. What year was the MK7?

pwr6kid

Nov 15, 2010
i belive the id tag said 88 came with 3.27 and posi and its 5 lug so if you run aftermarket wheels like my drag lites no one will ever know.

xxxfoxbody

Weekend Racer
Jun 29, 2011
cecilia, ky. 42724
your best bet is to go with a foxbody mustang 87-93. get the left axles out of a late 80s ranger and the small 9" drums and these fit the mustang housing for a 5 lug bolt pattern.

jacobgiles

Weekend Racer
Jun 27, 2007
Atoka TN
i have been thinking about using the baseline suspension kit to do the 8.8 swap. i would like to talk to someone that has used it in a race application with good results. will it work consistently in a 9 second car?

79CMC

Daily Driver
Mar 24, 2009
jacobgiles-are you talking about the Baseline kit or the 8.8 for drag appllications? I figure a good portion of the Fox bodies tearing it up at the track probably have the stock 8.8 and they have no issues. I did a google search just to see what the Ford guys thought of the Baseline kit for "organic" use and it's touted as one of the best products. Again, the Ford guys trust the kit for their performance needs. Someone else will have to chime in about G-body specific apps...

Speaking of Fox body rears, here's a pretty thorough article on an 8.8 swap into a 79 Elky (mirrors what xxxfoxbody recommends): http://rpmcanada.ca/performance/index.php/how-to-ford-8-8-into-a-g-body/

jacobgiles

Weekend Racer
Jun 27, 2007
Atoka TN
i was talking about the performance of the baseline kit. i am pretty confident that the 8.8 will hold up well when properly equipped. i am leaning toward the baseline suspension 8.8 swap, i would just like to talk to someone that has real world results on the track with a 8-10 second car.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts