8.5 rear + high horsepower

mcdn81olds

Weekend Racer
Mar 27, 2006
missouri
What brand & series are You guys running? I've had good luck with motive performance series N/A, now making some runs on the bottle & sheered teeth off the ring gear in 4 passes with bottle on.

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
Interested to know what your pattern looked like before running it?? What size pinion shim where you using, just curious.... Teeth of the front or back of the ring?

mcdn81olds

Weekend Racer
Mar 27, 2006
missouri
Pattern was perfect. They were set up a little toward the toe (center) of the ring gear, the same as we've always set them up. Can't remember the pinion shim size & had solid sleeve(no crush sleeve). This set was installed b-4 this season had about 10 N/A passes 6.1x's & 4 nitrous 5.9's in 1/8th ( the didn't make it to 5) 1.32 60's. The set b-4 this one had over 300 passes N/A. the last 2 years being 1.36-1.40 60's.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
There is ALWAYS a chance of defective gears....ALWAYS...Not likely but that is an option.

How did you do withe the ring and pinion break in time?

If this was not done right the gears will not be harden/ tempered properly and failure will happen

What was the backlash set at? If backlash is too tight or loose ...teeth will over heat and get brittle or too loose the teeth will ride too high off the peak of the gear and knock of the teeth under heavy load drive OR coast.

Side shim pre-load will affect punishment the gear will handle to prevent side to side load rock.

I would try again and just be sure you pay attention to every detail making notes of all the detail s such as backlash side shim size pictures of the pattern.

U do not need to do any special deeper in the toe etc tricks as a proper set-up will be normal pattern. Back lash will be an issue to tighten up as this will control the initial pound on the gear and make the gear ride deeper in the valley a bit for more strength...NOT TOO MUCH .003-,004 is about max before overheating will occur ... If this is a street car too .005 is about max because street driving / freeway will build more heat and swell the gears creating less backlash so if too tight on the street you will over heat the gears and they will get brittle and fail.

Hoe you have better luck on the next set.

Jim

mcdn81olds

Weekend Racer
Mar 27, 2006
missouri
The only break-in was down pit road to the end of track then back up return road to warm everything up ( I do this every race).
then make 1st pass as normal. We did run it on the jackstands just a little right after set-up.

Backlash was .007-.008

we set up side shims tighter than we would for street

This is a strip only car

I think we'll try it again with tighter backlash & support cover

What about bearing cap studs Moser has them for $25?

THANKS for the response Jim

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
I doubt you would need the bearing caps with the girdle cover. Like I said Might of just been a bad luck gear. Jim

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts