8.5 build question

Malibu 361

Dragway Regular
Jan 11, 2007
Queens,NY
Ok,I want to build a new 8.5 It will have the Ultimate brace kit and girdle cover C-clip eliminators ,Wilwood disc brakes,Moser axles gun drilled and star cut ,Now my question is do I need to run a spool I would love to take the car for blasts around the neighborhood and car night but primarily a drag car pushing around 600 on motor and about 200 more on spray but bigger plans next year ...are there any posi units out there that can handle this power...or is it spool only?? Thanks Sal

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
You could get a 30 spline posi to go into your rear end, but that is about your best option for posis. Honestly, a posi would be a bit of a waste in my opinion. They are much heavier than a spool (which will more than offset the gundrilling and star flange on your axles, will wear out (spool will never wear out) and a spool will be cheaper. Not to mention you can go with larger spline axles with a spool.

Before you start buying a bunch of new parts, take a look at the 8.5 that I have for sale. You might find that it would be cheaper to buy it that it would be to build yours. Just an option ;)

http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=73689

Malibu 361

Dragway Regular
Jan 11, 2007
Queens,NY
I have thought about yours but the distance is a big issue...As for your advice it is greatly appreciated...As for thr limited street use would the spool be an issue???Thanks Sal

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i have a mini spool in mine. if i have enough $$$ in the budget when i build a better rear for my car, i'll be doing with a detroit locker. seems to be it's the best of both worlds.

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
The spool never really bothered me on the street. I ran a mini-spool for years, then decided to upgrade everything when I started getting close to the 10 second zone.

The Detroit Lockers were a bit too clunky for my tastes. Just an opinion, but there is no guessing with a true spool.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
gun DRILLING... Your axle have to be at least 35-40 ...40 for sure to be optional for this gun drilling. 28 30 33 do have enough meat to do this.

8.5 10 bolt rears also have a 33 spline option posi unit and axles too. I would say 30 is enough with a posi with a spool you might as well hit the 33 spline I do not believe it will be and more expensive. While as 33 spline posi unit is more expensive then the 28 and 30. 33 required more machining again PLUS in my findings and measuring and opinion 33 spline POSI init side gear is actually weakened with 33 spline option. , just does not leave enough meat (metal ) around the side gear for high torque loads.

Last opinion on your build... Since it seems like you have some good funding. Why not think about a MOSER 12 bolt G-body rear?? I have a housing here I can build up any way you want. It has c-clip eliminaton with ford bearings (bolt in axle 33 spline ) you can make it posi or spool.... any gear (3.73 -5.57 spool) (3.08 -5.57 posi)

Just something to think about. Jim

Malibu 361

Dragway Regular
Jan 11, 2007
Queens,NY
Well I already have the 8.5 so I would like to go with that as for running c lip eliminators in the street for the once in a blue moon how are they ?And as for thr gun drilling Moser offers it with the 33 spline axles setup ....so I was thinking about that plus the star cut...?

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
I think ...OPINION AGAIN... that star ends and gun drilling is a waste of money. Esspecially with 33 spline axles. Thise tricks are for all out race comp. not for street use. Even c-clip eliminators are really for the race seen. For the street you will have a headache of leaks and bearings will wear quickly. They are designed for straight line high torque and short bursts heat kills them quick. so if your freeway bound the eliminators are probably not too good a plan either. Now if you go with Moser FORD ends and custom axles that would be a all around street strip application. Your gonna have to deal with the g-body axle flanges anyway so why not just ditch them all together. They will have the mid size normal gm 4 bolt flange ends but the bearing (tapered and larger than GM) will press onto you new 33 spline moser axles and slide into the axle flange then the retaining plate bolts behind that. That axle is not for good.

I know you have the 8.5 10 bolt...and thaty is great. But that housing is worth more untouched and under a GN. I would put it togehter and sell that for good dough over the winter then use that money to get the killer rear you need.

It is your diff so you can do what you want. This is an opinion from a GUY thta sells rear diffs GM and I am truely trying to help steer you in what I think is the best direction.

Take care, Jim

Malibu 361

Dragway Regular
Jan 11, 2007
Queens,NY
so you say go with the 12 bolt huh?? By the way this car is by no means a street car it will only be on the street to go to the local parking lot car show thats it ...Thanks again

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts