8.5 abody fitment need guidence

79olds1985

Amateur Racer
Sep 30, 2011
moore,ok 73160
first off can any one tell me what the length of a 8.5 rear end out of a gbody from the back of the backing plate to the back of the other backing plate. will the spring perches have to be moved on the rear as well to line up with the perches on the frame? I'm not worried about the upper and lower control arms for the fact that i am buying the UMI A-body 12/10 to G-body conversion kit. Has any one else done this swap before? post pics if you guys can so i can see what the final product looks like. Any advice would be helpful. thanks guys

junk racing

Amateur Racer
I will have to measure for you to be sure but I think its like 54" give or take a bit. You will need more backspacing of course with this rear. Im currently running a 10" wheel with 5.5 backspacing with a mt 275/60/15 and the edge of the tire is right at the edge of the quarter. I have ordered a new set of wheels with 6.5 backspace to tuck them.

My car is not mini tubbed or anything, I have trimmed the quarter lips. I have some pics I can post up in a bit.

footbrake

Dragway Regular
Feb 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
All g-body rears either 7.5 or 8.5 are 52.5" backing plate to backing plate

junk racing

Amateur Racer
sorry its been awile heres the pic, i need to go measure the width right quick, notice in the pic i spun the axle tubes, gotta pull it out and have it fixed

rearend.png

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts