700r4 linkage

fatboy

Weekend Racer
Dec 8, 2009
Great Bend, Kansas
I have a 79 Malibu and put a 700r4 in. I have a B&M ratchet shifter with their cable and linkage. I want to keep the column lock. I understand that I need the linkage that was on the column shifter and tie that to the transmission as well. I put the u-shaped stock linkage on top of the b&m linkage and everything sort of works but the shifter won't let me go to low with everything hooked up. Do I need the stock bracket for a 4 speed automatic that came out of the factory?

Better yet can anyone tell me what the trick is to do this? I have looked for pictures of the stock setup but cannot find one.

Thanks for any input!!!

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
The Column lever/movement section probably doesn't have enough travel for the 4-speed Trans. May need to do some grinding etc..
Have a look here for linkage etc.. diagrams>> http://www.compnine.com/

May help>> http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=1&year=1979&artnbr=GM4-25&artsfx=NULL&supplgroup=70&catcode=10A&modelcode=A&makecode=C&modelseries=NULL&uid=1&modelid=6415&capuid=1&majorgroup=04&grouptype=B the Pic isn't the best, try looking up another model or year G-body.

malzer

Amateur Racer
Aug 31, 2010
Gettysburg Pennsylvania
fatboy, I have a 700R4 in an El Camino with a stock column shift. I had to do a fair amount of modifications to the factory column shift linkage and the bracket that mounts to the proportioning valve to make this work properly.

I cut over an inch out of the bracket that the linkage pivots on (bolted to the proportioning valve) and welded the two halves back together. I also heated and changed the bend in the long down rod from the column to achieve desired results.(this took several attempts).

Now it does grab all gears, and the linkage no longer binds but it just barely catches low gear.I am sure if I used a newer OD column from the mid 80's it would give the rod more "throw" and catch all the gears easier.

later.

fatboy

Weekend Racer
Dec 8, 2009
Great Bend, Kansas
I have the OD column installed from an 86 Monte. I was hoping that this column would help out with this problem. It does not have the detents that the stock 79 column had but the floor shifter is still binding when everything is hooked up. I have adjusted the linkages in park, neutral, etc with no uplift. I did lengthen the rod from the column to the horizontal rod and that helped but not enough to call it good.
Is the linkage from a '79 3 speed auto different from the later model 4 speed auto linkage? I know that the piece that fits on the transmission is different so the stock shifter cable has a place to land but is the angle that it starts at different? Has anyone ever compared these parts and looked for differences?
Thanks for the replies!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts