7.5 rear-410 gears-peg leg?-upgrading 7.5 rear on a budget??

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC
Re: 7.5 rear-410 gears-peg leg?-upgrading 7.5 rear on a budg

Cheapest posi is going to be on fleabay probably. Grenade-loc (Gov-loc, or sometimes referred to as Eaton) will be cheap and plentiful but aptly named. The Auburn style is better. Could check with monzaz (Jim) on here through PM. You will need to be sure of your spline count on axles (probably 26). Here's the punchline-unless you know how to setup gears you'll pay $200-400 to have it installed.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com

All G body rears 7.5 are 26 spline if they are factory original unmodified.

I can not lye but I have run the mini spool on the street for 3-4 years in the younger days...but then again who really does what they are suppose to when your young??? :-k #-o I never had an issue and even took it to the track etc. Just took some getting use to. NOW that said I will recommend against it because it is MADE FOR DIRT TRACK RACING.

I do have some good deals on true trac posi units and reconditioned Auburn units.
I can also get you deals on moser axles took...NOT a terrible amount as MOSER does not give really great discounts as they KNOW they have us performance guys by the BOO BOO...lol.

shoot a PM will discuss your needs and see what we can cut a deal on, if you want. Jim

Brian79

Frequent Racer
Aug 21, 2008
Wataga, IL

Better go with a posi set up and skip the mini spool idea for the street.

I have been running a stock 7.5 rearend for years with 4:10's and a mini spool in my dragcar(Mid 12 sec). The rear has kept me from upgrading to a faster car. I think they will hold a hi hi 11 sec car but you will be pushing it after that.

Now for the Nitrous: I was told by a nitrous guy that if you DO NOT purge the lines then it will hit softer off of the line. That may be useful advice if you plan on using it with your 7.5.

To upgrade your 7.5 to hold power cost more than a bolt in 8.5 or a 8.8 conversion. SAD BUT TRUE

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com

8.5 or 8.8 G-body rear and even 12 bolt chevy center (gonna be pricey though)
with Iceman racing uppers

Attachments

• 8.8 g-body full spool rear 010.jpg
    8.8 g-body full spool rear 010.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,609
  • 8.5 3.73 eaton posi superior axle with upper control arms.jpg
    8.5 3.73 eaton posi superior axle with upper control arms.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,608
  • rolo rear 001.jpg
    rolo rear 001.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,598

big gear head

Daily Driver
Nov 3, 2010
Central City, KY

Well I guess that sinse this post is over 3 months old you have probably already made some decision about what to do with this rear end, but I'll put in my $.002 anyway. The 7.5 isn't worth putting much money in. It's probably going to break anyway. A spool shoudl never be used in a street car, so I would count that one out completely. The easiest and cheapest way to go and still be able to use it on the street would be to install a Lock Right in the standard differential. This will get both wheels working together, it's very easy to install and you can take it out and put it in another rear end if you trash this one.

way2fast4u

Dec 24, 2010

i guess i like playing with danger i welded mine up with a mig welder welded the spider gears to the axle gears then the axle gears to the carrier cheap spool take the carrier out of the rearend and clean all the grease off before u weld it up mine has held up going on 2 years and i drive it on the street and at the track thats my 2 cents

big gear head

Daily Driver
Nov 3, 2010
Central City, KY

You are taking a huge chance with that time bomb. Welding the gears makes them brittle. There is a very good chance that this is going to break and you will loose a wheel. You could end up killing someone with something as dangerous as that. There is a very good reason why the NHRA banned welded differentials. Maybe you don't mind taking that chance with you life, but the people that you are sharing the road with do mind.

Bar50

Pro Stocker
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK

Buy a used posi carrier out of an F-body 93-up and score some Grand National 28 spline axles it will live but....

Dirt bag way to do it (Not really a deal in the long run, but it does exist)
Posi $200
Axles(new) $240 28 spline say Moser for a GN
Plus the labor to install if you can not do it yourself.

New 9 inch hosing $350-400 with axles $750-850 Then you will need a center and brakes

You can find 8.5 GN/442 rear ends but they run arounf $600-$800 around here and still have c-clip axles.

The 8.8 deal would be cool, gotta' have different rear wheels, oh and then there is the control arm kit you going to need so it will fit....

The nine inch deal is really the best bet.

With the 9-inch you can score a carrier out of most old 1/2 ton trucks and end up with a 31-spline 3.70 or 4.10 gear.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com

I can build you a 8.5 or 8.8 custom housing for backing plates included stock g-body width- 250.00 - plus shipping

moser axles for 230.00 plus shipping

The rest you can get cheap from the junk yard. posi from a car and gears from a pick -up truck

Attachments

• rears 033.jpg
    rears 033.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 529

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts