7.5 rear-410 gears-peg leg?-upgrading 7.5 rear on a budget??

monte87LS

Weekend Racer
Jan 29, 2008
Marlton,NJ
I just bought a donor Monte for my Monte and she came with a 7.5 rear with 410 gears "at least thats what i was told but I will figure that out for sure tomorrow". This rear is a peg leg right now so only one tire spins. I never really delt with rear ends enough to know what to do as far as upgrades go. I know the GN or Chevelle rears are where its at but i dont have that kind of cash right now so im just planning on beafing up this 7.5 rear if it really has 410 gears in it. I hear alot of people running mini spools "which my buddy just picked one up from Summit for about $90 and is getting it installed for $125" ...I also hear of people running lockers in these rears. Im on a budget but I need this rear to handle a hard launch with drag radials. She's not my daily driver just a street/strip car with manual steering/manual brakes, no sway bar, skinnys, cowl hood, mostly gutted and I'l be running a mild SBC350/TH350 trans which I will spray the balls off of til it blows. Not planning on spraying off the line unless I have rear to handle it, i would just be happy to be able to launch hard on drag radials and spray at the 60ft. What would you guys do with this rear, what are my options, best bang for the buck???...thanks in advance...I'l post progress soon "My Montes been sitting for 2 years and Im making moves to get her back and it feels good!

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
Re: 7.5 rear-410 gears-peg leg?-upgrading 7.5 rear on a budg

I wouldnt bother running a spool or locker, chances are if it has 410's it will be posi. So i would just get an aftermarket rear cover to help put pressure on the caps and go racing.
I wouldn't put too much into it, try and do what ya can with the way it is and save for an 8.5, 12 bolt or a 9 inch.

v8power

Frequent Racer
Jul 24, 2008
okc

i would just find a 8.8 and swapp it out. you can find them with gears and a posi drum to drum for 200$

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC

My recommendation if it has 4:10's in it already would be to get 28 spline Moser or other aftermarket supplier axles ($240ish), a 28 spline minispool ($90ish), and a support cover ($150ish). Cheapest way to give a 7.5" a chance to survive sticky launches.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey

Oh, you'll definitely get "bang for the buck". $1.00 is all I'd give for a 7.5" & they all go BANG eventually...

Tommy

monte87LS

Weekend Racer
Jan 29, 2008
Marlton,NJ

ok I opened it up and counted the gears 37-9 so thats 411 gears...right?...its definately a peg leg right now and I need to fix that asap, I was told the mini spool will fix that but from what Im hearing on this forum is mini spools are not recomended, so what do I do to fix that, if I have to run street tires I'l run street tires but I would definately like a posi, a few years ago my 95 Caprice 9c1 would only leave 2 marks occasionally so I paid $100 and had my mechanic replace the clutches and she would leave 2 black marks for 100 feet everytime. Is that an option with this rear, if so how much should that cost for this rear?...or is there another option for a few more bucks or a few less buck, as of tomorrow my Monte will be sitting on blocks so i need to figure out this rear end situation. This rear end might determine the rest of my drivetrain too so i need to start making some moves and spending some money!

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.

You are always going to want to upgrade. sell the rear while you can still get some money for it and put something back ther to handle some power - It will be cheaper and SAFER in the long run.

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC

You do not want to run a minispool on the street under any circumstances. You do not want to run a minispool with stock axles under any circumstances. Another problem is that 28 spline axles will not fit through a 26 spline carrier so...you will need to change to a 28 spline carrier. Hard to dirt bag budget a 7.5" when you've got to replace everything. Then you've still got a 7.5" when all is said and done.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI

Iwould look on ebay and call your local salvage yard for a used 26 spline axle posi, Or for a new posi jegs.com or summitracing.com Doug

monte87LS

Weekend Racer
Jan 29, 2008
Marlton,NJ

So say I just decided to run 16" black GTA wheels on street tires and wanted the posi back what would be the best route?..and how much should that cost me?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts