400sbc build plans, input apreciated

BuWaGone

Amateur Racer
May 22, 2003
Hawaii
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

400ci SBC, Fed Mogul flat top piston, rebuilt stock length rods, stock crank polish and chamfered oil holes.

Promaxx (Patriot) aluminum heads 195 or 200cc runners,2.02/1.94 valves, 64cc chambers. Aluminum should allow me to run pump gas with the flat tops

Lunati Voodoo hyd. flat tappet 233/241 dur. @ .050, .504/.525 lift. Gotta check valve clearance. Big for the street but I drive 5 miles round trip to work and I want a sound of a healthy cam.

1.5 roller rockers maybe 1.6 if I have enough valve clearance to handle the added .033 lift

Performer RPM air gap intake manifold

650 Holley carb. Small but engine won't see much RPM. probably buy us33ed. Mill off air horn, radius edges and clean off cast lines. I like the small venturi and my last carb I built like this ran good.

That's about it for the major power making parts I plant to run. Plan to run a 2500 stall and 3.73 gears and probably a 2.5 exhaust. My goal is a good balance of horsepower and torgue while staying reliable. What do you guys think? Any input appreciated.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
looks like a good plan, only changes i would make is i'd build it with 5.7 rods and run a quick fuel slayer 750 carb.
brian

BuWaGone

Amateur Racer
May 22, 2003
Hawaii
prairiehotrodder said:
looks like a good plan, only changes i would make is i'd build it with 5.7 rods and run a quick fuel slayer 750 carb.
brian

I was consider 5.7 since I have to buy piston and rods. Besides rebalancing the rotation assembly what else I have to do. I've heard I should run a small base circle cam to clear the rods.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
a small base circle cam might be a good idea if you are running stock 5.7 350 rods. If you buy scat cheap i-beam stroker rods they are not very bulky and have low profile cap screws so a small base circle cam usually isn't necessary. I recently built a 383 with a cheap scat kit and the cam is over 250 @ .050 and over .540 lift and i had no clearance issues with a stock base circle cam. I had to do a little block grinding though.
b

BuWaGone

Amateur Racer
May 22, 2003
Hawaii
prairiehotrodder. thanks for the help. I'll weigh the cost difference between stock rods and small base cam vs. aftermarket rods and standard base cam.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
What are you wanting to do with the car? Personally I wouldn't run anything but a roller cam. I wiped a lobe on a flat tappet cam and it cost me an engine.

BuWaGone

Amateur Racer
May 22, 2003
Hawaii
Ed Cannon said:
What are you wanting to do with the car? Personally I wouldn't run anything but a roller cam. I wiped a lobe on a flat tappet cam and it cost me an engine.

It may sound really stupid but this is for my daily driver but my commute is about 5-10 miles run trip. Oahu Hawaii o long has a drag strip but I love a raunchy sounding car with decent power for if someone feels like testing me. I've always ran flat tappet wether hydr. or solid. And retro-fitting is kinda expensive.

Honestly, considering goin LS since I haven't spent any money yet.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Understood. The wife and I would love to live where your at.

BuWaGone

Amateur Racer
May 22, 2003
Hawaii
Ed Cannon said:

But there is no drag strip! And shipping parts is expensive. lol Paid a extra $200 shipping when I bought my glasstek hood for my Cutlass about 12 years ago. And alot of guys refuse to ship here, like we're a foreign country and it's extra paper work to ship here.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
BuWaGone said:
Ed Cannon said:

But there is no drag strip! And shipping parts is expensive. lol Paid a extra $200 shipping when I bought my glasstek hood for my Cutlass about 12 years ago. And alot of guys refuse to ship here, like we're a foreign country and it's extra paper work to ship here.
I would be willing to give up my car hobby to live there.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts