400 trans in 79 El Camino

A

Anonymous

lol

No that just happened to be in the pic. I had that box and never used it. I sold it on ebay last year about this time. I regret it now. I'm still using a holley anihilator system.

Wow did this get way off topic...sorry ratengine

ratengine

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2008
Chicago, IL
Well I got the 454 & 400 trans in. I used a stock GM 200R4 crossmember just modified drivers side to clear dual exhaust and headers. Also used an off set trans mount only because the trans mount plate on crossmember is at at a angle I also put a hose clamp around trans mount to keep it from coming apart. The crossmember works and fits perfect. I dont have to use any frame extensions. I had a lot of fun making stock colum shifter work and to get around headers and a BBC install. I also installed a BBC 454 .30 over. I used Headman Headers that fit well only had to do alittle grinding on frame on pass side and small ding on drivers side header to clear stock motor mount. Beats paying $500 for the Hookers Headers for G body with BBC install. Also save on aftermarket crossmember there not cheap. I will leave in heater and ac on firewall. You can only use stock height valve covers when you leave ac and heater intact. Would post pictures but dont know how. If any one needs any info on how to Install a BBC and 400 trans in a 1979 ElCamino just ask. Thanks for the replies. This camino will be a beast and a blast to drive. And best part it looks stock. Dave

Al

Pro Stocker
May 25, 2003
Harker Heights, TX
Psst ----------->>>>> http://home.fuse.net/fastmonte/DSSL4Gbodies.htm

FastMonte_driveshaft_loop.JPG

A

Anonymous

lol...thanks AL...i would have drove myself nuts lookin for that ;)

Al

Pro Stocker
May 25, 2003
Harker Heights, TX
At least it would have given you something to do when you got to Alaska.

A

Anonymous

good point...lol

supposedly the Army has heated garages in housing up there.

cool.gif

Al

Pro Stocker
May 25, 2003
Harker Heights, TX
Awesome. So it's only 10 below instead of 40. dancin_banana.gif

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts