4 Speed Swap

FrIeDTiReS55

Amateur Racer
Sep 25, 2007
East Brunswick New Jersey
I have an 81 Bu with a Turbo 350 in it. Its daily driven as of now and id like to swap a 4 speed into it. Can anyone tell me if they sell the conversion kits for 4 speeds? The car was originally automatic so it has no brackets or anything. Let me know. Thanks guys.

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
what do you mean by conversion kits if i am not mistaken some malibu's came factory with 4 speeds also i believe the th350 and 4 spd uses the same crossmember and drive shaft splines are the same to providing they both have same spline count

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
FrIeDTiReS55 said:
I have an 81 Bu with a Turbo 350 in it. Its daily driven as of now and id like to swap a 4 speed into it. Can anyone tell me if they sell the conversion kits for 4 speeds? The car was originally automatic so it has no brackets or anything. Let me know. Thanks guys.
Try OPGI.com or elcaminostore.com for a complete kit. Let us know what you do when you do it.

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
i did a little research and i think you could fab pedals out of t auto brake pedals cutting the foot rests and a few other things might be worth checking out i believe http://www.musclecarsonly.com has individual pieces they show them on thier website under monte carlo if its possible to make the pedals etc you can get z-bar and rods if they are availeable i can get a pics of the auto pedal mounted as i have a factory manual and auto pedal assembly hanging around read this http://www.garage-scene.com/t5-into-ag-body it explains how to make 2 auto pedals into a clutch/brake

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
http://www.garage-scene.com/ is t5montecarlo's site. The TH350 crossmember will fit the older GM transmissions, so will the driveshaft (I believe one of the Muncies may be different though).

Checklist:
  • Pedals
  • Linkage
  • Clutch safety switch
  • Linkage
  • Fork
  • Bellhousing

The fork will be the hardest to find, next to that the bellhousing, but t5's site lists some bellhousings that you can also use. You may have to resort to an aftermarket bellhousing/fork if you can't find one ($$$$$$).

Bar50

Pro Stocker
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The kits, like from ebay or elcamino store is almost everything, EXCEPT for a unique G-body bell housing and HOLY GRAIL release fork. They are out there, I found one for a 10.5 clutch, no fork, I plan on cranking a few converted bell housings...then all you would need is a G-body fork.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Bar50 said:
The kits, like from ebay or elcamino store is almost everything, EXCEPT for a unique G-body bell housing and HOLY GRAIL release fork. They are out there, I found one for a 10.5 clutch, no fork, I plan on cranking a few converted bell housings...then all you would need is a G-body fork.
That'll be awesome, I'm sure you will make a few people happy ;)

FrIeDTiReS55

Amateur Racer
Sep 25, 2007
East Brunswick New Jersey
Thanks alot for the responses guys it really helped me out alot. Worse comes to worse, whatever parts i cant get, my dad has had a few 70 SS chevelles all with 4 speeds and he has alot of 4 speed parts so whatever i cant find, hes got. Keep on bringing the comments though.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts