4-Speed guys... which hedders?

540Malibu

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Shrews., MA
nothing, yet, just tried to put them on this morning.

clean8485

Weekend Racer
Jan 30, 2011
I know that this is an old thread, but I have a question. I picked up a Hooker tubular exhaust system recently, part number 2049-1. It looks very similiar to the Edelbrock tubular exhaust system, but I'm told that the Hooker system has been discontinued. Has anyone here had any experience with this system on a manual transmission car with the factory mechanical clutch linkage? Thanks in advance.

clean8485

Weekend Racer
Jan 30, 2011
I pulled the instructions out of the box, and it lists part number 2049, and it says GM intermediates with 305/350 V8. The seller told me that he had the same set (not the one he sold me, but the same part number) installed on an El Camino with the factory 4 speed and mechanical clutch linkage. The parts that are in this kit look virtually identical to the Edelbrock TES that I have on my Monte Carlo. There are only several minor differences (Hooker set has a 1 piece Y pipe, Edelbrock's is 2 piece, Edelbrock Y pipe has the 4 hole flat flange to connect to the Monte SS catalytic converter, Hooker kit doesn't). Both kits are equipped with A.I.R. tubes on the headers, have a heat stove for the tube which runs to the air cleaner, the left header has a bung welded in it for an O2 sensor, and will fit a factory heat riser valve. Up until I found this kit for sale locally, I didn't know that Hooker made a kit like this. I guess it didn't sell very well, which is probably why it was discontinued.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
It sounds like they are for the slip-fit cat rather than the MCSS cat. The y-pipe will be the only difference between the 2050. The 2050 has 1 5/8 inch tubes and the Edelbrock has 1.5-inch tubes.

The O2 sensor is not really in the right place and should be moved to fit with the bellcrank. Hooker screwed up and never fixed it...go figure.

clean8485

Weekend Racer
Jan 30, 2011
I'm not intending to use this kit on a vehicle with A.I.R. or an O2 sensor. I'm going to cut off the A.I.R. tubes, and weld up the holes, and either cut off the bung for the O2 sensor, or just screw in a threaded plug. I picked them up mainly because I can retain the catalytic converter, and the thermac tube for the air cleaner, and the heat riser, so the car will be emission legal, but have better breathing than with the stock exhaust manifolds and crossover pipe. Thanks for your help.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I don't know about your state, but in many if you remove the A.I.R. or the O2 sensor (or ANY part of the OEM emission equipment) you're no longer emissions legal...

Tommy

clean8485

Weekend Racer
Jan 30, 2011
If the car was originally equipped with A.I.R., or an O2 sensor, I would definitely leave them on. I went through some extra work on my Monte Carlo after I switched it to a serpentine belt setup, in order to keep all of the emission controls on it with the Edelbrock TES system. Here in southern Ontario, roadside emission checks are becoming more & more frequent. The Malibu is a different story though. The car was not originally equipped with either A.I.R. or an O2 sensor. I'm just looking for some better breathing with the existing emission controls that came with the car. Thanks for the reminder though.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts