18x8 question

grey95chevyboy

Frequent Racer
Jun 21, 2008
port st.lucie,FL
Looking to put some 18x8 wheels on all 4 corners.

+2 offset, with 4.5 bs.

pretty sure the front will work how about the rear?

this is for a 1980 malibu.

don't want notching or rolled fenders if possible.

A

Anonymous

I recently put a set of 18"x8" on all 4 corners of my 79 wagon, +2 is correct, I have no issues with with rubbing & did not have to roll the fenders, tire size is 225-40-18 front, 245-45-18 rear. The car is lowered 2inches front & rear. I will post some photos in the next few days. Good luck! Chris cool.gif

grey95chevyboy

Frequent Racer
Jun 21, 2008
port st.lucie,FL
well i changed out my wheel idea.

got a deal on a staggered set of wheels.

18x8.5 front....18x9.5 rear.

got the front to work perfect with a spacer. rears still working on...its tight back there..lol.

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
psst.....5" of backspace needed on the rear
widewheel.jpg

grey95chevyboy

Frequent Racer
Jun 21, 2008
port st.lucie,FL
hey thank ratmalibu.

my wheels where original 5.5 back spacing in the front and 6.5 back spacing and where made for a bmw.

I will be running a 1 inch adpter (like the front )result in the rear gets me at about 5.5 back spacing on a 9.5 wide wheel. Hopefully it works!! after your pic iam felling good about it now.

thanks. JP

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
my car has 18x10's on the rear, 5" of backspace clears my un-notched frame....I did roll the lips of the 1/4's slightly to prevent tire rub. My rear suspension is pretty stiff, there is very little side to side movement while cornering and as far as I can tell the tire has never made contact with the frame

A 9.5" wheel with a 5" backspace will be narrower by 1/2" to the outside would only fit better.......best would be 0 offset so it would split the diff in and out though

it will not work with a 5.5" backspace unless you plan to notch the frame though grey95chevyboy.....as it is with 5" and stock frame rails I can just barely get my fingers between tire and frame at the front and rear where the framecurves to the outside......

grey95chevyboy

Frequent Racer
Jun 21, 2008
port st.lucie,FL
so u recommend a 1.5 adapter/spacer to give me 5" of back spacing?

i did put wheel on the car and with a .75 spacer it seemed to clear the frame ...but due to the spacer i could not mount the wheel with lug nuts(not enougth thread showing) to drop the car see of any issues.

tomorrow i will dismount one front wheel and use the 1 inch adapter see where it leaves me. If anything i will order 1.5 adapters this week if i need that .50 to clear the frame.

Thanks alot.

JP

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts