12" Brake Swap: Bumpsteer Issues or No?

DeltaT

Dragway Regular
Oct 28, 2003
Nor Cal
We have a Longacre Racing Bumpsteer guage and with the 1LE conversion the max bumpsteer was just a hair over 1/8", which is pretty low.

Jim

Duts87ss

Amateur Racer
Apr 8, 2005
Ocean Springs, MS
Tommy, the steering arm on a stock G-body chassis is already too low for optimum bumpsteer; the B-spindle arm about another 5/8" lower than that.

Delta, considering that adjusting toe settings from 1/16" in to 1/8" changes the feel of the steering quite a bit, it stands to reason that the 1/8" change you noticed would be very noticable from the driver's seat.

DeltaT

Dragway Regular
Oct 28, 2003
Nor Cal
I guess maybe I'm just used to a little 'dartiness' - it only bothers me above 150mph...

With the mods, does anyone get it down to 0 toe changes over the full travel of the suspension? I guess once I felt it I would be hooked and wonder why I ever put up with any bump steer...

Jim

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
I noticed more "dartiness" from the front tire size than anything else...thats been a constant in any vehicle I've put wide tires on the front of though....I do live in Missouri.....the roads here suck....never noticed a bumpsteer problem though

Duts87ss

Amateur Racer
Apr 8, 2005
Ocean Springs, MS
DeltaT said:
I guess maybe I'm just used to a little 'dartiness' - it only bothers me above 150mph...

With the mods, does anyone get it down to 0 toe changes over the full travel of the suspension? I guess once I felt it I would be hooked and wonder why I ever put up with any bump steer...

Jim

I think anyone who drives a G-body regularly gets used to at least some bumpsteer.

I think it's pretty much impossible to entirely get rid of bumpsteer; just sort of a nature-of-the-beast type thing. Jeff says there's deffinately a big difference with the mod he did.

A

Anonymous

I don't have any bumpsteer issues but with the 12in brake spindle conversion and Moroso trick springs, the car starts to wander at 90mph. Any idea what it could be? I had the front end aligned too.

gmachinz

Frequent Racer
Apr 5, 2005
Iowa
If you're running the trick springs which are designed to provide faster take-up for a better weight transfer launch, then it's most likely the air rushing underneath that is lifting your front end up-making the tires ride on the edges. The springs are your problem imo.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts