12" brake - drop spindle?

78 LS1 TT

Weekend Racer
Oct 2, 2007
Carrollton, OH
I am going to be putting 2" drop spindles on the car. I want to go to the 12" brake upgrade which requires a fullsize (caprice,delta88) spindle. Should I get a 2" drop spindle for a caprice instead of the S10? It says you must run an aftermarket upper a-arm with the fullsize spindles or the camber will be out to lunch. Has anyone had any luck with the stock arms and the fullsize spindle?

Thanks

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
That's what I'm planning to do some day way way down the road,to many other things going on right now,you'll never get a B-spindle to work without a custom upper A-arm but I'm thinking someone on the aftermarket maybe CPP has a complete bolt on 2"drop spindle/12" brake kit complete for like $699 that they say will fit with 15" wheels if that is a consideration for you,I'll see if I can find some more info for you if you're interested,the B-spindle should be a better handeling set up though,
way more expensive however! Later,KillerDave

78 LS1 TT

Weekend Racer
Oct 2, 2007
Carrollton, OH
Thanks! I will start to accumulate parts then.

78 LS1 TT

Weekend Racer
Oct 2, 2007
Carrollton, OH
I cant find any drop spindles for a B body. Will an A body spindle work?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
78 LS1 TT said:
I cant find any drop spindles for a B body. Will an A body spindle work?

Not as far as I know. The 64-77 A-body is a different setup & the 78-80 A-body is what you have now.

Tommy

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Like these?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Bell+Tech/146/2105/10002/-1

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
StreetBu said:
Like these?

I don't know if they'll work with the 12" rotor conversion. I know the Impala SS had 12" front rotors so the drop spindles for the SS may very well be OK, but what I'm concerned about is that I don't know if the Impala SS spindles are the same as the "normal" 12" rotor spindle. You need B-body HD/Police spindles. The standard B-bodies had 11" rotors that used slightly different spindles.

Tommy

78 LS1 TT

Weekend Racer
Oct 2, 2007
Carrollton, OH
StreetBu said:
Like these?

Those are for the 92-96. The spindles I need are for a 77-90 caprice or impala.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
I think that's the only big body drop spindles you're going to find,I was just looking at my arcives,Oct 04 Popular Hot Rodding,78 Malibu,Jason Herrera,says dropped B-body spindles,B-body brakes with 12" rotors,I never have investigated it as I havn't had the funds to invest in that sort of system as of yet but it you check out Global Wests website they will or at least did tell all about the B-body spindle conversion and using the Camaro 1LE 12" brake rotors for the 5 X 4 3/4" bolt pattern as the later big cars have the 5 X 5" wheel bolt pattern,of course they don't say anything about using a dropped spindle other than dropped spindles don't help the handeling situation which is what they're all about,I would deffinatly do some studying and make a few phone calls before I shelled out $400 plus on those spindles though! Good luck on the hunt! KillerDave

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Just to make sure, I looked up the AC Delco part numbers for three cars. A 96 Impala SS takes S6 inner bearings and S7 outer bearings. I looked them up for an '80 caprice wagon w/diesel, takes the same part number inner and outer bearings, Looked them up for a '92 Camaro with the 1LE option, takes the same part number bearings...... Not sure what else would be different except the spindles for the Impala SS will have a hole/mounting location for an abs sensor which of course the older models wont have. I dont see any reason why they wouldnt work.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts