10 bolt 7.5 axle upgrades

jon's 87ss

Jan 19, 2010
Would like to know if there is any other,or were to find 28 spline grand national or olds 442 axles that would fit a monte ss with a 7.5 10 bolt with stock 26 spline axles, besides buying aftermarket, tried local yards around raleigh n.c and no luck ,thanks

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC
Hey Jon welcome aboard. I'm near Raleigh also. I've been running a pair of Moser 28 spline replacement axles for four years at the strip with no problems in a 7.5" housing. Beyond the money, consider that even if you can find a pair that they were made with a lesser quality material and that they've been cycled and possibly abused for several years. Moser claims that the steel they use is 20% stronger than factory. That should be the equivalent strength of a factory 30 spline unit. Don't forget that you must also get a 28 spline carrier and reset up the gears for this to work.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
Only a 10 bolt 8.5 rear will have the 28 spline axles you seek... And if you find the axles your probably gonna find the rear and you would be foolish not to pick that out of the junk yard...lol.

Moser axles will BE a great upgrade.

It is the easiest NO hassle way and like stated you can not beat the alloy mix and quality for the price of something used that might not even be straight.

JIm

Regulator

Daily Driver
Sep 21, 2008
if you were to swap the 26 spline axles for the aftermarket 28 spline axles, using a mini spool, could you still use the 26 spline carrier? if not were could you find a carrier for the 28 spline axles?

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
You have to hog out the carrier bearing hub so the 28 spline axle will fit the carrier bearing hub hole. So NO with out modifing the stock open 26 spline carrier. Yes if you modify the carrier bearing hub axle shaft holes. :)

JIm

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
I can get you a 28 spline open for 20.00 if you want. zthen you do not need to grind...lol. Jim

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC
As I'm hip deep in this very endeavor I can say with authority that a 28 spline mini spool will not fit inside a 26 spline carrier regardless of opening up the bearing hub. The distance east-to-west inside is wider to accomodate bigger spider gears used with the bigger axles.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
I know they have 2 different window carriers and have fit them in before so. I have also been there too. :) They fit. 7 5/8 26 spline carrier open 2 large window case. Try it some time. :) THIS is all I do rear differentials.

There os a clam shell open carrier case and then a 7.5 2 large window case also. Those 7.5 7.6 carrier are tricky some time I D ing.

Same truble on power trax units if you buy the wrong one for the wrong case it will EAT it self in to or three test runs on the street.
TIP:Be careful everyone when installing the Power Trax you must have the center distance to Richmond Power Trax exact specs or it will be junk QUICK.

Good luck

cutlass389

Frequent Racer
Feb 2, 2009
NC
I'll defer to you as you're much more experienced than I but when I had the old 26 spline MS next to the new 28 spline MS it was shorter in height from thrust washer to thrust washer. Not sure what the carrier I had is out of but it had two large open windows and the 28 spline one would not physically fit inside. I've procured a carrier out of an '03 S10 to proceed with my lame_sign.gif plan.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts