My Pro Touring conversion

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
TURNA said:
Looking good!!

Do those heads have standard or raised ports?

They are AFR Oval Magnums. Raised ports.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Lookin' good.
I'm having trouble placing that post in the last pic. Where is it, and is it a ground?

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Doober said:
Lookin' good.
I'm having trouble placing that post in the last pic. Where is it, and is it a ground?

Its a ground lug right on top of the trans tunnel in front of the shifter. It will be hidden under the dash. I was tired of ground to anything I could find. That will tie in to chassis, block and body.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
So I was testing more circuits. I have turn signals, brake lights, and lights. All the gauges work. What does not work and is kicking my a ss is the stupid dome light. The painless harness looks dummy proof. Nope. Its a closed loop circuit with 3 grounds and as a former Electronics tech from the Corps, this is sad that I cant make it work. When I bought the car it was disabled and a switched light system under the dash had been installed. Im determined to open a door and have a light come on. How hard can it be?

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Dome light circuit is working. Both doors and the headlight switch turn it on. I am ready to stab the dash back in.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
So you can't just do that to us! What was it?

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
StreetBu said:
So you can't just do that to us! What was it?

When I bought the car the wiring was rigged to run 2 little lights under the dash. The wiring under the dash was a disaster. Now its clean and organized. Open the door...lights. Turn the headlight knob...lights. My first attempt I had grounded a hot. The problem is that there are white and black wires that are ground AND hot. I just had to find what was what. The original door switches work good. So does the headlamp switch. I have checked most of the circuits Ill be running. All thats left is the engine bay.
I have the dash installed now. The carpet is vacuumed. I cleaned the interior a bit. Tighten up a few loose ends and Ill be ready to put the steering column back in.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
I also took a minute to decode my VIN.
Car is a 1979 Malibu ( not a classic!!) It has Classic emblems . I will need to get rid of that. Only emblem left is glued to the new dash cover.
Original Camel vinyl bench with a Camel exterior. Ugly ugly ugly color. Now Black cloth.
It had a 4.4L puny engine with the M20 option and a posi option.
It was built in the 4th week of Feb in Doranville GA. One of over 400K... though I doubt very many had a 4 spd and posi w/ bench.
Thought it was kinda cool to see all that.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Meat Drapes said:
Original Camel vinyl bench with a Camel exterior. Ugly ugly ugly color. Now Black cloth.

Hey! Some of us LIKE Medium Camel Poly #69... :lol:

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!