Stall converter slipping? ?????'s

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
these guys are rite,keep your existing converter,set up some gears in your car it'll be much more fun than the way it is now.

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Depending what the 700R4 trans came out of, the stock converter's stall will vary. Believe it or not, most stock, replacement, non-performance converters can stall anywhere from 900-1300 rpm. If I were you, I would replace the gears with maybe 3.23 or 3.42 gears. My wagon's got the same transmission as yours, and I literally JUST did the exact same gear swap. I went from 2.41 to 3.42 gears, and this is my "cruiser" Malibu (I have 4, lol). The performance difference is shocking, and with the overdrive, cruising is still a breeze. I think my rpms went up by 800 or so when in overdrive at similar speeds, which is no big deal. I have a stock stall converter (although my trans is from a 86 or 87 Camaro) and the combo is awesome! I'm VERY VERY happy I did the swap.

**I just read that you have a 1600 rpm stall instead of the stated 2600 one. That bothers me...hmmm...The lower stall combined with the mild gears "shouldn't" have caused any real problems. Maybe the clutches in the trans were on the way out anyway.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!