Column difference 3 speed/200r4??

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Was finally able to get a little more info on the differences between the overdrive and standard 3-speed auto shift columns. Below is a picture of the shift gate that is in every auto shift column whether OD or not. My source tells me this is the only shift gate he has ever seen used in these (78-83) GM intermediate A & G body columns. When completely dissembling the column, this would be one of the last parts removed. The shift pattern starts with "Park" on the right side as pictured. Next is the "Reverse" higher land, "Neutral", "D" or "OD", "2nd or "D", "1st" or "2nd" and finally "1st" for the overdrives. The last land is longer to achieve "low" gear engagement with the overdrive transmission.

When I did my 200r4 swap I used the original TH-200C shift linkage but could never reach "low" gear manually when adjusted properly. After adding an inch to the column lever "down rod" to the shift lever transition arm, I am finally able to reach low gear manually. This was probably widely known but I'd never seen the shift gate itself until recently.

Assuming this information is correct, the only difference between 3-sp & O.D. shift columns is the column to transmission linkage and dash bezel.

Shift%20gate_zpsf7mxnuti.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!