Fbody / AFCO centerlink swap

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
Read a few reviews and I wasn't quite sure the centerlink swap would work. Had read guys saying they had to cut the skid horn off the crossmember etc... Well I did the swap and it works out fine. Skid horn does not need removed. I had to trim down my tie rods by about 1/2" per inner and outer ends. Went ahead and swapped back to the longer gbody pitman arm while I was under there. Also hit up Gboz on here and finally got a Jeep steering shaft. Whole reason for the upgrade is a new alignment was in the works after rebuilding the control arms and the old center link ran a little downhill - always lightly rubbed on the oil pan on the passenger side. Now I have plenty of clearance everywhere. I will upload the pictures to my photobucket so I can share them.

Stock Centerlink

DS 1049 centerlink installed

Gboz jeep shaft

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
1981Regal said:
What is better about this setup?

This is what AFCO has to say...

Improved geometry drag link relocates the inner tie rod end to shorten both tie rod assemblies, which improves steering geometry by reducing the excessive toe out that is common to GM Metric chassis during normal suspension travel (bump steer).

For me personally, it lowers the inner tie rod connection point which gave me more oil pan clearance that I needed. It also allowed me to keep the jounce bars going from the skid horn to the frame rail ends. If you are swapping a worn center link this one is worth considering. *Does require tie rod ends to be shortened*

Also don't pay the $90 for the AFCO link, I got a TRW on RockAuto for $25 shipped to my door

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Interesting. 3rd gen F-Body? That'd make 3 Camaro parts on my Malibu :lol:

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
Ysssir, rock auto is the cheapest place I have found - Trw or moog

malibuguy

Top Fueler
Sep 29, 2003
Finksburg, Md
www.cardomain.com
I need to do this when I change out the rest of my suspension

shoedoos

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2008
TNTS79 said:
1981Regal said:
What is better about this setup?

This is what AFCO has to say...

Improved geometry drag link relocates the inner tie rod end to shorten both tie rod assemblies, which improves steering geometry by reducing the excessive toe out that is common to GM Metric chassis during normal suspension travel (bump steer).

For me personally, it lowers the inner tie rod connection point which gave me more oil pan clearance that I needed. It also allowed me to keep the jounce bars going from the skid horn to the frame rail ends. If you are swapping a worn center link this one is worth considering. *Does require tie rod ends to be shortened*

Also don't pay the $90 for the AFCO link, I got a TRW on RockAuto for $25 shipped to my door

Do you have a link to the centerlink you bought from Rockauto?

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
Part number search DS 1049. Thought about buying all the TRW ones they had left and selling them for 35 shipped. Might have made $5 a piece. Figured it would be better to put the information out there for you guys to get them on your own. I got the car aligned the other day and the guy was able to get 7 degrees of + caster with the stock arms

Last edited by a moderator:

82wagon

Weekend Racer
Mar 31, 2010
So does this new center link improve the suspension geometry like the afco centerlink?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!