No spark , can't find out why. Help!!

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Do you have power on the distributor while its cranking too, not just with the key on?

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
Ed Cannon said:
Do you have power on the distributor while its cranking too, not just with the key on?

Hi Ed,

I pulled a plug and I was getting a spark when cranking. With the old original HEI

I am curious to know,what it would be the cause, if I was not getting power to the distributor during cranking?

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
No spark would be the result.

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
1981Regal said:
Pull number one spark plug. Lightly stuff tissue or paper towel into the spark plug hole. Remove power wire from distributor. Bump the ignition key over til the tissue blows out. Check the balancer, marks should be close to the timing tab. Ease the balancer around to 10-12 before top dead center 0. Drop the distributor down so rotor lines up with #1 cylinder tower. Will probably need to move oil pump rod so distributor will fully seat. Hook up power to Hei. Should fire.

I did this yesterday, but not quite right. I had it at about 4 before. According to my go guy my timing was off and it was flooded.

It's running again but with the stock HEI.

I still can't understand how a new MSD HEI was running fine, put car on ramps, jacked up the back to put in a driveshaft loop, it was level. Then it would not start.

t01blaze

Amateur Racer
Dec 14, 2011
South New Jersey
I had an MSD distributor ignition module fail on me years ago. Car was running, just died and would not restart. It was only a few weeks old and I exchanged it for another distributor (same one). The second distributor lasted for as long as I had the car.

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
t01blaze said:
I had an MSD distributor ignition module fail on me years ago. Car was running, just died and would not restart. It was only a few weeks old and I exchanged it for another distributor (same one). The second distributor lasted for as long as I had the car.

Well that's pretty good timing. I just swapped the bad one out for a new same MSD HEI today. I was wondering if it was a mistake. Hope it works out this time.

Thanks

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I'm not knocking MSD, but when they go, that's usually how it happens. You shut it off, go to restart it and... Nothing. That's also why we had 100% redundency in the GT1 car ignition. Two coils, two boxes & an MSD "A/B" switch.

Tommy

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
LS6 Tommy said:
I'm not knocking MSD, but when they go, that's usually how it happens. You shut it off, go to restart it and... Nothing. That's also why we had 100% redundency in the GT1 car ignition. Two coils, two boxes & an MSD "A/B" switch.

Tommy

Hi Tommy.

I was lucky enough to to get a replacement. I put it in today . Hope this one holds up. I guess I better keep a spare in the trunk. :D

80driver

Frequent Racer
Nov 4, 2015
Whting, NJ
t5montecarlo said:
Why change out the HEI in the first place?

I think it may have been the original HEI. All worn and loose.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!