Round basic gauge to round w/tach question

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
The oil pressure wire is tan or tan with a black stripe (kinda foggy there). The choke wire is constant 12v I believe where the tan wire is just for the gauge and isn't supposed to be hooked up to anything else. Think of the sending unit as a potentiometer and the gauge as an ohm meter, because that's basically what that setup is (along with fuel level and water temp.). There is a specific resistance range the gauge and sender have to operate in for the gauge to be accurate.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
You did buy the right sender for a gauge. The sender for a light is slim and is just an on/off switch.

You may also need an extension or elbow to put that big sender next to the distributor. The Monte Carlo SS had the sender on the left side of the block and there was also an extension about 1 inch long. Depending upon the type of exhaust you have, you may or may not be able to put the sender in that location. If you have mechanical clutch linkage, you will need to use 2 45-degree fittings and angle the sender away from the clutch cross shaft at about a 30-degree angle.

When I put long tube headers on my Monte Carlo, I had to move the sender from the side of the block to near the distributor.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I think I'm actually using the sender/elbow from my '88 pickup... I never checked to see if the ohm range is the same, but it seems to be pretty close... idle is max pressure on the gauge, idle pressure hot is around 25-40psi I think. Both the G-Body gauge and the truck gauge were 60psi, so I'm guessing it's fine - point is regardless you should see some sort of movement in pressure, not just pegged/0.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!