Vinyl wrap

jmerc

Amateur Racer
Sep 23, 2009
staten island, ny
Ive painted my monte with JD blitz black and loved it and am in the process of building a 1985 cutlass that I won't be ready to paint for a year or so I want to get the drivetrain done first so someone suggested a vinyl wrap for the time being. Met a guy who did his own BMW with a satin black wrap and he offered to do my car for a great price.any thoughts on the wraps, pros and cons?

Al

Pro Stocker
May 25, 2003
Harker Heights, TX
You could always use Eastwood's Elastiwrap

Last edited by a moderator:

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
I'm intrigued about the whole wrap idea, but what happens when/if you happed to scratch it somehow? I bet that'd be a disaster...

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
malicad said:
what happens when/if you happed to scratch it somehow? I bet that'd be a disaster...

That is an interesting thought. I suspect you would need to rewrap the affected panel. I wonder how consistent the coloring is between rolls of different lots. Would a rewrap look like a repainted panel where the color doesn't quite match?

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
Friend is in the 'biz. Vinyl has 3 grades. Base ( 3 years ), Mid ( 5 years ) and Premium ( 8 years ). However it all starts to fade within weeks. He was doing the local 967-11-11 pizza chain vehicles. Instead of flames on the hood and sides they looked like they drove thru pizza sauce. He had that contract for 3-4 years. After a collision repair he would have to pull all the vinyl and re-apply as the vinyl graphic would be so faded / scratched within a few months that there was no way to match it. Its not like paint that you can buff back to a shine. Roll vinyl in solid colors holds up a little better than the vinyl print graphic

RAREBMX

Daily Driver
Oct 19, 2015
I'd advise not doing a wrap on a car that's driven. Also against plasti-dip. After a while they look horrible

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!