Lets see some engine pics

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
speedkills80 said:
A couple new touches.

We're both thinking the same way. I'm doing mine with all GM parts to emulate what The General might have made if they still put an LS6 454 into a 1980 Malibu...

Great job so far!

Tommy

bbaehr22x

Dragway Regular
Mar 21, 2005
North Ridgeville, ohio
20140329_165644_zps497a4310.jpg

t01blaze

Amateur Racer
Dec 14, 2011
South New Jersey
speedkills80 said:
A couple new touches.

How is the clearance between the heater box and engine?
Which shifter and installation kit did you use for the M-21 swap?

I found a video of your can on youtube. Very nice. I'm having my car painted the same color.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
t01blaze said:

X2. Please elaborate on the shifter. Did you use a factory floor hump & boot? My shifter is for a Second Gen A-body/First Gen F-body with console, so I'm pretty sure it won't line up right for a G-body hump.

Tommy

speedkills80

Amateur Racer
Jun 23, 2008
Omaha NE
www.topdogpowdercoating.com
LS6 Tommy said:
t01blaze said:

X2. Please elaborate on the shifter. Did you use a factory floor hump & boot? My shifter is for a Second Gen A-body/First Gen F-body with console, so I'm pretty sure it won't line up right for a G-body hump.

Tommy
The clearance between the heater box and the engine is tight but nothing is close enough to rub. Just don't use the extra tall valve covers.

The shifter we used was one out of a 70's pick up. We went to the junk yard and cut out a good floor section (rust free), then came home and welded it to the floor, that was to cover up where the old shifter hole was ( we had already cut the new shifter hole out ). You will need to try and save your original shifter hump. We reused that. With the trans and shifter mounted, center your shifter hump in place and tack weld it down. Then just do what the factory did...weld around the hump and then coat it with some black sealer to keep any exhaust fumes from coming in.
As far as linkage...we used the linkage kit that matched the trans. So we got a linkage kit to fit a 1968 Muncie out of a chevelle.

I hope some of this helps!! :D

The first pic is where it was originally located the second pic shows how far back it moved due to changing from a Saginaw to a Muncie.

t01blaze

Amateur Racer
Dec 14, 2011
South New Jersey
Thank you.

My car is out for paint and bodywork right now. It's going to be the light blue from an '81 Malibu. I also have plans for a big block/4 speed setup just like you did. I'm not building a race car or anything over the top, I want a fun street car that is reliable. I want to build it like yours, using GM parts and having it look like it came from the factory that way.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!