Everyone post your wheel and tire combo.

rodneypierce

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
Im running a 15x4 1.75 back space in the front, and a 15x8 4.5 back space in the rear. Front tires are M/T Sportsman S/R 26 tall. And rears are Hoosier Pro Radial 275-60-15. The rears rub hard on the lip and the frame. I do have the car setting pretty low though, and the tires are tucked quite a ways.

I plan to frame notch and mini tub.

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
malibulvr said:
When using std drum brakes, the 4.5" bs 8" wide wheel usually is ok with up to a 255/60 street tire, but a 275/60 will usually rub the frame. If you are using a stock length rear with iron brake drums then an 8" wide wheel 4" bs should be great. Keep in mind if using the factory aluminum brake drums or a disc brake set that they are a bit thicker than the factory iron brake drum.

As mentioned by malibulvr....... I just went from a 8" wide 4" BS steel GM rallys wrapped with MT ET Street 275/60/15 Drag Radial that fit perfectly in the well, to Weld Draglites 8" wide 4.5" BS wrapped with MT ET Street Drag Radial 275/60/15 and it was a 1/8th of an inch from the frame rail, so I machined a set of 1/4" aluminum spacer and they tuck in nicely! Stock width aluminum drummed rear, Monte SS springs, KYB gas shocks, No frame notch, and no lip trimmin' needed..................

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
I dont have any pics with the Draglites on, just put them on Wed. night :lol:,,,but,,,, here is a couple of older shots with the GM 8"Wide by 4" BS steelies same tires as on the Welds,,,,,Still have the Monte SS springs,,,8 yrs running those springs,,,,,,,,,,,,Like anything with age, they are probably "sagging" a bit :lol: :lol: Last year I changed to 3" X-pipe exhaust and have since tucked the exhaust up more and plan on dropping the rear 1" more this season................

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
Redline8k said:
How low do the monte ss spring lower the car. Im looking for 2-3 inches in the back

The Monte SS springs are part of the F41 Suspension package from the factory, I don't think they would lower it 2-3 inches from "stock" but I'm not sure.................

rodneypierce

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
ah yeah, a bit higher then I have mine setting. I was wondering how you could get it to clear, but I see now. My section width is nearly 11.5 inches and Im trying to tuck it up to the "fattest" part of the tire. Car looks good though man!!

Alex41

Weekend Racer
Nov 4, 2013
Fort Belvoir, VA
Sorry for the late reply.

The pic here is from the center of the wheel looking up. The yellow line represents where the fender lip is after rolling it and spraying it with black undercoating to stop the paint from chipping.

Malibu28_zps0596b29e.jpg

MK386

Jan 5, 2015
Orlando
Newb Malibu owner, going for the hubcap on rally look. Rear end is a 12-bolt.

From What I've seen on this forum everybody says they're running a 4.0 BS for the rear wheel.

Will this work?
Front: 15x4 2.5 BS
Rear 15x8 4.25 BS (going on a 275 MT)

These are the only options I see on Jegs, Summit etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

speedkills80

Amateur Racer
Jun 23, 2008
Omaha NE
www.topdogpowdercoating.com
MK386 said:
Newb Malibu owner, going for the hubcap on rally look. Rear end is a 12-bolt.

From What I've seen on this forum everybody says they're running a 4.0 BS for the rear wheel.

Will this work?
Front: 15x4 2.5 BS
Rear 15x8 4.25 BS (going on a 275 MT)

These are the only options I see on Jegs, Summit etc...
Your backspacing will differ based on what 12 bolt you put in the car and or if you did any modifications the stock axle length.
I have a 67 chevelle 12 bolt and I am running factory 15 X 7 rally wheels. The wheels and rear end are stock from 1967. Just an FYI.

Last edited by a moderator:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!