Rear Suspension FAQ

79Lemans

Frequent Racer
Jan 22, 2008
Mass
Barry 85 SS said:
Do the weaker stock front springs,(like V 6 springs) work as well or better than the Moroso trick springs ?

Moroso trick springs are taller and store more energy and fronend-travel which makes for better weight-transfer,if this is what your looking for.
I'm not saying that V-6 springs would'nt work,or that Moroso trick springs may work better,but they will help a street/strip small tire car transfer-weight quickly,and help keep the rear tires planted.
(This is just a small part in helping a car hook)

Barry 85 SS

Frequent Racer
Aug 8, 2005
Newport News, Va
Thanks, was looking for an alternative, as so many people on here say the Moroso springs are junk. My car is mostly street driven with an occasional trip to the strip.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Barry 85 SS said:
Thanks, was looking for an alternative, as so many people on here say the Moroso springs are junk. My car is mostly street driven with an occasional trip to the strip.

I have yet to see a set of Trick Springs hold up on the street. I have seen plenty factory V6 springs that have held up just fine. Most Morosos I know of are bottomed out between a year or twos time of street driving.

colin

Weekend Racer
Aug 23, 2008
The shorter spring is mounted on the driver side ?????? I hope that was the back springs ...I installed a set up front and they both looked the same !

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
I’ve got a street/strip car, and am deciding if I should go with an anti-roll bar or not. What should I do?

An anti-roll bar is one of if not the biggest improvement you can make in having a G Body launch level. Some people run true ARB’s on the street, while others are concerned that the links may bind, or become bent/damaged with street use. For a car that sees more street or strip, a true race anti-roll bar may not be the best idea. Some designs such as the Wolfe Racecraft bar which use either aluminum or bronze bushings may become worn very rapidly on the street, and cannot be replaced without cutting the ARB mount from the car. For a car that sees more strip than street, many racers will disconnect one of the links on their ARB. This renders it ineffective, but you won’t risk much damage to the bar. If your car is more street than strip, you may want to look into something like the Spohn Performance G-Body Pro-Series Rear Drag Sway Bar. It’s a bolt on bar that implements poly bushings, and still works very well at the track.

I’ve got a set of Southside bars for my rear. Would going to a regular adjustable control arm setup lower my 60’ times?

While the Southside bars have proven themselves time in and time out, your G Body came from the factory with a 4 link setup, and with a little work, can be adjusted and treated as any backhalved, 4 link racecar. The best reference in regards to how to make your stock style suspension work with traditional control arms, and required reading by anyone serious about making their car launch properly, are the writeups by Kevin Slaby from Baseline Suspensions. From launching your drag car, to setting pinion angle, his website will tell you everything you need to know: http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/

I’m trying to figure out if _____ will fit in the back of my G Body. What is the width of the stock G Body rear end?

A stock G Body rear is 52 ½” from backing plate to backing plate.

Who makes the best rear control arms?

There are PLENTY of manufacturers out there to choose from, all with comparable products. Some are more street oriented, some are strip oriented. Iceman, TRZ Motorsports, Race Suspensions, Wolfe Racecraft, BMR Fabrication, Hotchkiss, etc, all make quality parts. My best advice? Click on the sponsor links at the top of the forums and browse around. The sponsors will often offer special pricing for MalibuRacing.com members.

I’d like to put adjustable control arm brackets on my 9” rear end. Where can I get them?

I personally think that A&A Manufacturing makes the nicest set of brackets with multiple adjustment holes. They can also be sourced from Speedway, and companies like Art Morrison and Auto Weld even offer complete packages with them already welded and ready to run.

I’m trying to find spherical bushings for the upper control arm mounts on my housing. Who sells them?
Any other comments or suggestions for the FAQ, feel free to ask!
Hello,
I have a few questions for you before i can give my advice!
1 Is the rear end you have Made for a G-Body and is it aftermarket?
2 How much does the car see track time?
3 And what are you plans for it in the Future?

If you can answer these questions for me I will be able to give you a few suggestions.
Thank You,
Brad

72Malibu

Sep 18, 2011
Barry 85 SS said:

http://www.santhuffshocks.com good springs ;)

Chrod350

Weekend Racer
Nov 16, 2009
Lafayette, LA
Hello guys I'm getting ready to install a spohn arb and wanted to know what rear springs to use I'm running a 275/60 15 dr I have moroso trick springs and was told not to use with an arb.. Any help would be appreciated..

Gbodyfan

Weekend Racer
Aug 18, 2015
Las Vegas
I know this is an old thread but it's worth reviving

I see a lot of posts about expensive parts which are great parts to have but I don't see posts about economical parts and fabrications that work along with being cost effective
Bracing original LCAs/ UCAS
All G/A body's come with a small pinion snubber, make an adjustable model for 20.00 and 30 minutes.
Poly lift air bag on the right rear to help control the G/A body twist.
Adding MAXIMUM air pressure to the front tires. Having experienced the difference on the 4 wheel scales 10 psi added is equivalent to add 20 lbs to the rear.

This GN belongs to non other than Lawrence Conley owner of CPP, Master Engineer. Retired and enjoying life.

This car I spent a gracious amount of time on in my younger years. This car had Southside LCAs and stiffened uppers done in house, adjustable pinion snubber,air bag, frame rail mod to accept 15x10s best 60' back then was 1.43 and low 10 second runs "BLACK" was retired from drag racing.

Gbodyfan

Weekend Racer
Aug 18, 2015
Las Vegas
The new subbed is basically the same size as one that would be found on a set of Lakewood traction bars I cannot remember the moog part number but we drilled and tapped a 1x1", 3" section of square tubing and bolted it to the stock location. Once done the snubber is roughly 2.5" closer to the housing snout. We made them fully adjustable so that normal driving and suspension deflection during street driving does not break the rubber off of the stud.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!