Alternate G-body A/C Boxes

TTLSX418

Amateur Racer
Apr 23, 2013
Baton Rouge, La
I'm just curious, I wasn't sure where to put this so I just put it in the LSX thread because it has to do with the motor I'm building, well technically.

I am insistent on keeping a/c in this car because I want it to be a true street car, and honestly i'll be cruising in it more than i'll be stomping on peoples faces.

I'm doing a twin turbo set-up in my 81' Wagon, and the manifolds I'm using are flipped truck manifolds. The problem I'm having is that the passenger side manifold runs into the heater box that protrudes out from the firewall... It's not the whole manifold it's just the runner for cyl. #8. The way it is set-up, has the runner hitting the box. It isn't a lot, but it is enough to have to think about re-working the heater box to have it clear. I've heard that some companies offer a way to move most of the a/c components into the firewall some more to give better clearance. Has anybody else heard this or come across this?

I have a couple of question...

1. Does anybody know of another heater box maybe from a different vehicle that will bolt up and give more clearance around the exhaust manifold?
2. Is it okay to cut on the heater box (like making clearance for the header) and then maybe patching it somehow? (In case there are no other smaller heater boxes that can be used to clear.)

I'm not sure if this calls for pictures because I'm sure SOMEONE has run into this problem before, but if yall would like some I could go snap a few.

pmgm

Amateur Racer
Jun 2, 2007
OH
Post pics of your setup... Maybe I can help you out.. I'm keeping my a/c to so maybe some of the mods I did can help you out.

Pernell

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
You will be fine modifying the heater box like you plan to.

I don't know of any AC boxes out there but I do know there are aftermarket ones for our cars for heat only that are a lot more compact than the factory ones.

TTLSX418

Amateur Racer
Apr 23, 2013
Baton Rouge, La
That's cool, I planned on doing it and now that I have the turbo headers here, I know I will have to because they definitely hit the a/c box but not by much. I live in La, 75% of the year it is 90-100% humidity and hot as hell. Gotta have a/c.

WFO_SS said:
arizonagn.net

under "products" there is a vintage air setup for g bodies.

Holy crap that is pricey! :shock: I would love to have one of these, over the 20 year tech that is in there now.

rodneypierce said:
It is way pricy. Might as well just get a vintage air kit and mount it flush to the firewall. That's what my plan is.

I was looking into the universal kit, it will take some fab, but if you can fab stuff up, it is no biggie. I have a GP dash, so it would require some custom ductwork anyway.

Doober, the BOP wagon had a Buick Dash in it at first, I pulled the Pontiac dash out of the Malibu wagon. The GP ductwork was different than the Buick at least. I can't remember if it was different that the Chevy, the defrosters were I think though (memory sucks, too many blows to the head). One could make any of it work ya know. The thing is, with the kit from Arizona GN, a bunch of that cost is the fabricated and welded aluminum adapters for the dash ductwork. So, since the other G-bodies are different, why pay for all that when you aren't going to use it?

There is an adapter line from the compressor that is included, and the snazzy bulkhead fitting and firewall plate, but I can fab that. I don't know, at this point I am stipulating because I haven't found anyone who has bought it, who has taken a bunch of pics and installed it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!