powder coat removal?

6togo

Daily Driver
Apr 25, 2013
Harford Co. MD
Didn't know where to post this but here it goes anyone ever strip powder coating chemically? I have a complete frame to do and dont have the dunk tank option so it would have to be brush on! Been looking at the Benco b-15 B-17 products which some say work well but are very nasty for you! and then i looked into the eco type from Miles 8659 which they say works well and is pretty safe. the only other way was to burn it off but no one around Baltimore seemed to have a oven that big and a torch would take way to long i'm trying to keep it a quick as possible! Any input would be appreciated!

Gonna go and modify the frame you have then? I can't help you with the powder coat removal. How about blasting?

6togo

Daily Driver
Apr 25, 2013
Harford Co. MD
I am on the fence about just stripping my frame its very nice and be a waste to ruin the powder job but atleast i know its solid and needs no repair work. Hope fully i will find another frame soon none of the others have worked out! So far i found two chemical strippers that will work on powder one is Benco b 17 and b15 the other is Miles eco stripper not as good but way more user safe than the Benco! I do have a local blasting company that may be able to do it also but its time consuming with a blaster!

DonM

Dragway Regular
May 29, 2003
Twin Cities, Minnesota
When I did my frame off, a local sandblast company did my bare frame for $250. Dropped off one day, picked up the next, clean as a whistle. That's what I would do if I was you. Chemical is a mess and in my opinion can be left behind in hard to clean areas and effect the next paint job.

DonM

6togo

Daily Driver
Apr 25, 2013
Harford Co. MD
Hey there is no argument here about using chemicals but we are not talking about normal paint powder coating is some tough stuff and most sandblast companies will not do it! The right way to do it is in a burn off oven but no one has one to fit a full frame in!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!