Does anyone have experience with SEM hot rod black paint?

mc1984ss

Frequent Racer
Apr 19, 2004
Wisconsin
I am considering using SEM Hot Rod Black paint on a budgit project and was looking for someone that has had experience with it. I am new to spraying paint and am trying to learn as I go along. I definitely have no intentions of painting anything show worthy. Can this paint be applied over epoxy primer? Thanks in advance, any info is greatly appreciated.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Re: Does anyone have experience with SEM hot rod black paint

mc1984ss said:
I am considering using SEM Hot Rod Black paint on a budgit project and was looking for someone that has had experience with it. I am new to spraying paint and am trying to learn as I go along. I definitely have no intentions of painting anything show worthy. Can this paint be applied over epoxy primer? Thanks in advance, any info is greatly appreciated.
i love it!i think it's the perfect hot rod black.I've sprayed three quarts of it this year,it's nice stuff and yes it can be sprayed over an epoxy primer. most everything I've painted with it was over sandblasted/sanded then epoxy followed by two coats of the sem hot rod black.i like it better than the usual single stage that we mix to get the semi-gloss look.it's not the same as regular paints in the sense that it looks very different from the time your done painting it to the time you install it.i sprayed 4 parts last night and by the time i cleaned the gun and got my things together i looked at them before i left it was still kinda glossy,but you could see as it flashed off from glossy to semi gloss.I'll go by and get them tonight they'll be the semi gloss look.it's odd when your so used to something looking the same as how it looked after the last coat flashed off.but it does look good.shop around for that kit I've seen the price varies quite a bit.check with your local paint supplier see if they carry it.get yourself a box of mixing cups from them too they have the ratio's on the side it's better than using a graduated paint stick.steer clear of the ones from the hardware store they're no good for anything other than a 1:1 ratio.the mixing cups are money well spent,you can toss them after your done.some people clean them but i say why take a chance?do some looking around you'll be fine.any questions just stop by.

brunz21

Amateur Racer
Jan 17, 2012
chicago, IL

hot rod black takes about a week to fully cure, especially if its cold. the finish will look uneven until then, but trust me it will all even out. make sure your body work is correct. everyone says, oh its dull so you wont see all the imperfections, on the contrary! you will! the flat finish will actually magnify them, and there's no orange peel to distract your eyes. epoxy primer as a sealer is probably the best way to go, and it will last a long time. have fun!

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass

Malibuwagon80 said:
Anybody got any pics.?
cars026.jpg
cars021.jpg
P4020058.jpg
here's a drive in speaker i restored and my heater/ac box.its really a nice semi gloss.its just rite if you ask me.i love it.that speaker pic almost looks brown but its only the photo i assure you.i use this stuff all the time,its a good product

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey

Drive in speaker? I remember those days.........hot rod..... hot chick..... well you can figure the rest ...lol

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass

8) I've got an idea ...

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey

melloelky said:
Malibuwagon80 said:
Anybody got any pics.?
cars026.jpg
cars021.jpg
P4020058.jpg
here's a drive in speaker i restored and my heater/ac box.its really a nice semi gloss.its just rite if you ask me.i love it.that speaker pic almost looks brown but its only the photo i assure you.i use this stuff all the time,its a good product
Saw some pics of you're elky with thee body off and frame painted.. Got any build pics? Thanks Tom

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass

hey tom,i don't have a build thread on here but is there something specific your looking for i could send you some pics if you'd like

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey

melloelky said:
hey tom,i don't have a build thread on here but is there something specific your looking for i could send you some pics if you'd like
Frame on and off questions. I got some bad body bolts and am looking to replace them and was wondering how hard it would be to just lift the body off enough to clean the frame and replace bushings? Or is it just a matter of if you have the body unbolted go for it and remove the frame and get it blasted or wire wheel? The frame is in good shape just the usual stuff rust etc. I've never had a body off and my space is limited {suburbia}. Plus I already have a malibu wagon in the garage. Think I'm just gonna fix the bolt problem and think about the body stuff next winter!! Tom

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!