how to convert 83 4 door wagon to a 2 door?

595x

Weekend Racer
Dec 5, 2011
Homosassa FL
This has probably come up before but I can't find any info on it!
So what's the best way & what's involved in turning a 83 wagon into a 2 door?
Whats needed & what does one have to do to achieve this?
You may text info as well to me at 1-812-384-4409

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
To do it well will require a donor coupe shell. IMO, you'll need to fabricate a door window frame, since the ones I've seen done with a coupe windshield/cowl and "hardtop" doors have funky looking rooflines. The biggest crime is piecing together quarter windows. there's a pretty well-knowm burgandy one with a Monte SS nose that has a hatchet job (IMO) of a glass solution.

The wagon roof is higher than a coupe, so that's an issue. I've seen one in TX that was spliced together (wagon rear clip on a coupe) that had a weird look at the drip rails.

Turna indicated that it was a waste of time and money, but I've seen pics of one done that looked pretty good. For sure, if you just jump in without doing the homework, it'll be a PITA, and if you have to pay somebody else to do the fabrication work, it's gonna get expen$ive.

Or, you could take the easy way out and just weld/fill the rear doors. Not really a 2 door wagon, IMO, but it does seem to be popular.

595x

Weekend Racer
Dec 5, 2011
Homosassa FL
Why couldn't a person move the A pillar back and use the doors off of a coup or use coup fiberglass doors?

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
Coupe A pillars are not as tall as the wagon roof, and are laid back more.

The way to do it, IMO, is use coupe doors, and construct window frames from the front and rear door frames to fill the hole. trying to use the coupe roofrail weatherstrips would take even more fabrication, and the glass is not going to come close to being tall enough. Using the coupe windshield and pillars makes the roof low in the front, unless you bring it down all the way from the back.

There are a LOT of differences between coupes and sedan/wagons that most people do not see, aside from the number of doors. they're really two different animals, since the coupe is a hardtop style car (albeit with a B pillar and fixed qtr glass), and the sedan/wagon is , well, a sedan style body.

It can be done, obviously, but it's not the cakewalk many think it will be...at least not if you want it to look like a production car.

Best advice is to get a coupe and wagon side by side and bust out a tape measure...it'll become apparent very quickly the scope of the differences.

595x

Weekend Racer
Dec 5, 2011
Homosassa FL
Well, how do you all suppose this wagon was done?

Attachments

• Cell phone pics 297.jpg
    Cell phone pics 297.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 4,061

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I suspect the B pillar was removed from a 2-door and fit into the wagon. While you can cut/shape metal how you want, there is no off-the-shelf glass that will fit. I suspect the car you are showing is using Lexan.

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
I have to agree with t5...it's a drag car, and the qtr glass is clearly lexan,so I would imagine that the door glass is as well. Roofline to me says wagon a pillars.

This is the one I spoke of above....the only one I've seen that looked right.

595x

Weekend Racer
Dec 5, 2011
Homosassa FL
How about wagon A pillars moved back, fiberglass doors, lexan side glass & quarter windows & a good body man! Thats my thoughts.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!