Ebay turbos (Yikes?!?)

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
Most of the ebay turbos are built off of garrett specs with cheaper parts and looser tolerances.You can have fun with them,but push themhard and they will come apart.I have seen some that could be rebuilt and some that cant!

Bad Medicine Racing

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2010
Grove Oak, AL
Why on Earth would you want to spend good money on Scambay turbos, when you can get a 75mm Borg Warner S400 series turbo for around $600 brand new?

psychomotors

Dragway Regular
Mar 31, 2011
Bonne Terre, Mo
Maybe he ain't got $600 just sitting around? I sure don't ,lol. I gotta couple Holeset H1Cs that I'm gonna get around to using one of these days. They was free from a buddy.

Bad Medicine Racing

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2010
Grove Oak, AL
psychomotors said:
Maybe he ain't got $600 just sitting around? I sure don't ,lol. I gotta couple Holeset H1Cs that I'm gonna get around to using one of these days. They was free from a buddy.
It looks to me like he is planning on buying some...at least that was how I read his first post. Now, why would you spend $450ish for some cheap chiwaneze Garrett knock offs? I would much rather scrape together another $150 and have a turbo that will make proven power.

But no one ever listens to me...I don't know why a forum would be different than real life :lol: . I might see trying it if you already had them laying around, but we are talking about $150. If it were $1500, then I wouldn't be here talking about it. If $150, or even $350, makes or breaks the budget with a hot rod, you are playing in the wrong hobby. That or don't have the patience for the hobby. You could scratch that number together delivering pizzas on the weekend, or even picking up cans on the side of the road.

As for your H1Cs they are a good quality brand name turbo, that can easily be repaired or serviced. I ran a single H2C several years ago, and it worked well on my old junk.

psychomotors

Dragway Regular
Mar 31, 2011
Bonne Terre, Mo
You're killin me,lol. I know what you mean by nobody listening to you. I scrap stuff like aluminum and scrap steel for extra money but times are hard and sometimes extra money just ain't easy to come by. Thats why it takes me forever to get stuff going,lol.

Bad Medicine Racing

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2010
Grove Oak, AL
I have personally done without the daily eat out lunches and breakfasts for many years in a effort to have a little more cash to waste on my old junk. My turbo is off of an old Detroit, my heads are old iron heads that a friend had, the crankshaft is an old Corvette piece, the block I pulled from a 1970 C-10. The roller rockers came from a friend that changed to a high dollar Jesel setup. The only new parts that went into my junk were the rods, pistons, camshaft, lifters, valve springs, and pushrods.

I have always had to budget my money to have any to spend on the Malibu. Luckily I have a VERY good wife that puts up with the stupidity, and doesn't give me any grief to speak of about it. I don't want you guys to come off thinking that I am one of the people that always has to have the newest best stuff, because that is the right opposite of the truth.

I am merely making a point that with a very small price difference you can get a proven, quality item.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!