I have no idea about alcohol. What would I need to convert?

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
Re: I have no idea about alcohol. What would I need to conv

80superbu said:
That's totally your call to spend your money. I know too many people running alcohol using a plain old Holley blue pump from a fuel cell in the trunk and have no issues running 8-9 second 1/4 miles year after year. You say they are respected in the business, I say they are trying to seel you stuff you don't need.

out

So you're telling me a 110 gph blue pump, on alcohol which has to pump 1.2X gas volume or more is sufficient? So basically a 90 gph pump can supply a 800 hp motor?

Hitman

Dragway Regular
Oct 15, 2004
OKC

A holley blue won't supply enough fuel, no matter what he says.

We had 2 holley blues when we first bolted an alcohol carb on my brothers car in 1998 and the minute you left the starting line the fuel pressure went to 0.

I ran a BG400 on my dragster on alcohol, it was first on gas, and then George converted it for me. Worked okay.

Nothing but belt drives since. Fuel cell in the trunk on my 79 Malibu worked fine. Fuel cell in the back of my wagon did not work, so it's now up front.

Even if I was on gas, I'd run a belt drive pump.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa

Hitman said:
A holley blue won't supply enough fuel, no matter what he says.

We had 2 holley blues when we first bolted an alcohol carb on my brothers car in 1998 and the minute you left the starting line the fuel pressure went to 0.

I ran a BG400 on my dragster on alcohol, it was first on gas, and then George converted it for me. Worked okay.

Nothing but belt drives since. Fuel cell in the trunk on my 79 Malibu worked fine. Fuel cell in the back of my wagon did not work, so it's now up front.

Even if I was on gas, I'd run a belt drive pump.

That's basically what I'm being told by everyone in this power range. Thanks.

Malibu355

Pro Stocker
Feb 21, 2009
La Marque, Texas

Switching can get expensive. I have almost $2K in mine from the switch but then again the only part I had that would work with alky was the dang fuel cell lol. Good luck in whatever choice you make on the alky.

dasbrdr

Frequent Racer
Jan 22, 2004
Seattle, Wa

Just thinking out loud here as I am in pretty much the same dilemma as you, could you just add a belt driven pump and leave your cell in the trunk with the electric pump feeding the mech?

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga

Doing some more research on this,
Racepump= 450gph (max)
Magnafuel=500gph (max)
Beltdrive =480gph (@4000rpm)

Will the Belt drive gph go up with rpm after 4000?

Hitman

Dragway Regular
Oct 15, 2004
OKC

Those "Racepumps" don't work. Tried one, it was junk.

My BG belt drive has whatever fuel pressure at the finish line I want it to have. If I want 8, it's solid 8, if it's 12, it's solid 12. No jumping around. I also have just a couple lbs at idle.

I let my dad make a couple licks in my wagon to say he'd ran in the 10's. We then unbolted the alky carb, put on a gas carb, set the pressure to 7, and made runs on gasoline within 30 minutes of starting. They are just virtually fool proof.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa

dasbrdr said:
Just thinking out loud here as I am in pretty much the same dilemma as you, could you just add a belt driven pump and leave your cell in the trunk with the electric pump feeding the mech?

I don't think this was one of the options. I think I was told to use a small cell in the front and let the pump gravity draw off of it. However, the stuff in the trunk could be used to fill the front cell. I think the issue was pressure feeding the belt pump.

jms.racing

Amateur Racer
Sep 9, 2003
Conroe , Tx

I would go with the belt drive pump myself , Electric pumps sometimes have a lag in delivery when you go wide open throttle with Alky. The bigger the motor & the lines the worse it is to much of a chance of lean out and rear mounted cell are worse . A belt drive pump will increase the demand of delivery at wide open the faster you spin it the more volume it provides . You will also need to have a big port or big volume regulator and make sure you get it as close to the carb as possible. Its a toss up to me Alky reguires lots more maintenance and I am sure the oil you run is not cheep you will be changing that more often , I would say if your motor is over 13.50 make the change if its less the power per dollar gain is not worth it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!