SBC REAR MAIN SEAL ???'S

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I will be installing a rear main seal in my SBC 400 engine,I have seen it getting removed and think I can remove it but how do you install it in the engine and any pics of which way the seal goes in?THANKS

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
The seal goes in with the lip to the front of the engine. You want it to look like stuff can get in the engine, but if the oil tries to get out, it will push the seal tighter to the crank.

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
OK I got the rear main seal in the shortblock is there anyway I can see if it will leak with just the shortblock assembled or do I have to assemble the whole engine and crank it on the engine stand?THANKS

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
There is really no way of knowing whether it will leak or not until you have the engine running. If the crank surface where it's touchign isn't grooved and the seal is installed correctly it should not leak. Everyone has their tricks for installing it (offsetting the parting line, putting a tiny dab of RTV on the ends that touch, etc.).

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
X2 on the Tips^^. + lube the Seal Lip.
Also there are RM Seals for the 400 that relocate the seal Lip for a grooved Crank and Seals for Mains that have been Line Bored/Honed.

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I replaced the rear main seal with a FelPro#2909 which I had to like force it in, but got it in,assembled the engine and it still LEAKS when the egine is not running any HELP PLEASE.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!