neutral safety problems..78 monte carlo

bluemonte78

Amateur Racer
Aug 15, 2010
Ontario , Canada
If you unplug the big purple wire and purple/white wires under the dash, they will plug right into each other. The previous owner had this bypass set up. I need to pass tech inspection so the neutral safety needs to be installed on my B&M pro ratchet. I separated the two wires but the car still starts in gear ???

Am I correct that I need to plug the 2 back together, then I cut the purple, extend one end to the poles on the NSS then run a second from the pole back to the purple wire. Doesn't seem right with the existing bypass. What am i missing ??

bluemonte78

Amateur Racer
Aug 15, 2010
Ontario , Canada
Still trying. I assume the monte carlo came with a mechanical neutral safety in the column, previous owner installed a cheapo floor shift with no safety switch. Found an old post by Slimbo and hooked up a 4 post relay today. Car still starts in drive. ??? Maybe the micro switch is crap. Any suggestions on how to install something that will kill the ignition in gear will be appreciated.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
In stock form, the key will not rotate to Start with the factory linkage connected unless in P or N. I believe that mechanism replaced the NSS. I believe the stock harness has the wires jumped in an automatic application. When unjumped (open circuit), the car will not start. I have only had 3-/4-speed cars from 1978-1981, so I am not completely certain about this particular wiring in the automatic cars, so I am speculating a bit and may not be accurate.

Is there a circuit diagram for 1978 on this forum? The circuit diagram from 1982 and later may be different because manual transmissions were not offered after 1981 and beginning 1981 the computers were installed.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!