I think I'll make the change.

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
racecar77 said:
Good job. That's a good weekend.
6 1/2 to 7 lbs. fuel pressure with my Quick-Fuel alcohol carb. (ProStar 500 pump) Same pressure as I ran with gas.

THANKS - Dito the fuel pressure

Night Stalker

Dragway Regular
Nov 3, 2009
Genoa,Oh
You'll like the change to alcohol from gas period! Not only is it less money to run on but for bracket racing it is deadly consistant once dialed in..
There's no magical set-up you have to do,,it's simple to change over from gas,,i.e no timing change needed,no special spark plugs,,( can use the same plug you been running with gas,but a hot plug is recommended) and there's no set fuel pressure for running alcohol.. If you have a good running pump with alot of volume you can run the pump as low as 4 psi as long as it keeps up with the motor..
A typically good or perfectly tuned running alky carb will gain 7-10* in water temp in a 1/4 pass and will NOT milk your oil!! It is recommended that you run a lean out valve to help build some heat at start up..
Most lower compression motors love alcohol as it'll raise the static compression in the motor and also raise the torque due to it's double the volume of race gas/fuel..
Don't fall into the maintence myths of you have to empty the fuel cell or carb after running or racing it for the weekend,etc.etc. just leave the cell and carb fuel of alky and go racing.. 8)

Congrats lilbowtie as it sounds like you were dialed in pretty well.... ;)

Night Stalker

Dragway Regular
Nov 3, 2009
Genoa,Oh
gman415 said:
Good info.
So the "two" fuel pressures is a myth?
Also, this may be to late since I've already bought it, but will this pump do what I need?http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=106252

gman,,yes the fuel pressures are just that a "MYTH",,,,,UNLESS your going to run a belt drive pump system which isn't really needed for what your doing.. :mrgreen:

And yes that pump will work perfectly.. 8)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!