help with a spool ?

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
a full spool is one piece that replaces your carrier, holds the ring gear, and keeps both axles in a constant drive mode. a mini spool replaces the spider gears in an open carrier to keep both axles in a constant drive mode, but they're made from about 3 different pieces and are not as strong as a full spool. mini spools are recommended for dirt track applications mostly, where there isn't enough traction to break them. after running a minispool for a couple seasons, i understand why they're not the greatest for street/strip use.

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
well it depends on what you'll mostly be using the car for..street driving or drag racing..I hear spools can be hard on the street, since both wheels are always moving at the same speed taking turns can be difficult and put strain on the spool. Thats why a lot of people get Tru-trac, open differential for just cruising around town, but 2 wheel power when you lay into it.

RICKY BOBBY

Frequent Racer
Apr 6, 2011
DADE COUNTY MIAMI FLORIDA
well im going to be driving this car more on the street than the track but i will be taking it to the track . i have a mini spool but i dont know what would be better to go with ? what do you think ?

RICKY BOBBY

Frequent Racer
Apr 6, 2011
DADE COUNTY MIAMI FLORIDA
well its pretty much a weekend car but everytime i drive it will be on the street taking it to hangouts the beach car shows . i will only be taking it to the track once in a while to see what time it runs .

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Spools suck on the street too dangerous IMO. I had one.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!