My methenol swap progress (Videos inside page 3)

Night Stalker

Dragway Regular
Nov 3, 2009
Genoa,Oh
Malibu355 said:
Really? Why did you tell me to do it?
My suggestion malibu355 is when you gwet this carb figured out, i would get the motor up and running and heat it up to 210-220 for about 4 minutes with the lean out closed. This will help the motor or rings cut into the glazing on the cylinder walls and help seal up alittle better..

i said do this procedure using the lean out valve to get the motor up to temp then close it once the temp is reached...The way i read what you posted, is you stated you didn't need or use the lean out valve and it heated up like this with only the carb and NO lean out valve used..

I also stated if the carb only got you to this temp in 4 mins, then the carb itself is too lean..

westexun

Frequent Racer
Dec 27, 2008
I take it you went bigger on the idle air bleeds to lean the idle a little, is that right? If you have the front blades opened to far to get it to idle it will be in the transition circuit and will idle rich and you won't have any control over the idle with the idle mixture screws. This is why guys drill small holes in the blades to get enough air in the motor to close the blades and cover the transition slots. Have you tried opening the back blades enough to get a little more air in the motor so you can close the front blades a little? I would think you could solve that stumble I saw in your vids by opening the mixture screws about a eighth of a turn. Even if it is on alcohol it's still just a carburetor. I guess this is why a good carb guy is worth his weight in gold. It's funny to me that the younger crowd is lost if you can't tune it with a laptop. Hard to believe nothing's had a carb on it for about twenty five years. Dang I'm old.

Malibu355

Pro Stocker
Feb 21, 2009
La Marque, Texas
tex, the stumble seems to be gone as of right now. the old pars were as follows. .045 squirter and .055 idle air bleeds. what i put in it and has fixed the stumble was a .040 air bleed and .055 squirter. it almost seems like a .035 air bleed would help it more but that seems like alot. so i went smaller on the air bleed to fatten up the idle a lil. i have no problems getting this to idle and i have not turned the air bleeds with the motor running, only off. right now they are set to 2 turns out from closed on all 4 corners. I tried going out and in on the mixture screws even playing with the timing to rid the stumble before i got the parts and it did not even help. now when i was turning mixture screws and fired the car back up the idle was different so i know the screws changed the idle. now, if the stumble appears when i get traction on a track ( i was testing this in my driveway with wheel spin) then i will try doing something with the blades and/or changing some more bleeds.

As far as alky to gas just being a carb, i dont know much at all about carbs so i am trying to learn. :nana_wrench:

westexun

Frequent Racer
Dec 27, 2008
Turning the idle mixture screws on my Quick Fuel carb didn't seem to make much difference either. That was before we discovered it had raw fuel dripping off of one of the boosters from the float level being too high. I called Quick Fuel about it and the guy said that the thing has soooo much fuel going thru it that I would have to turn all four screws to make any difference in the idle. That really doesn't make sense to me. This is the first alky carb I've messed with but I know a gas carb will not idle right if the front blades are too far open and into the transition slot. I don't know about under a load, since I haven't even got my car painted, but it doesn't have any hessitation in it off of idle right now. I think it's pretty close to right. I'm really hoping to get by with this carb since I only gave a couple hundred bucks for it and it looks like new. I sure hope you can get it sorted out, since I know the car will wind up being quicker on the alcohol and you'll love not having to fight the heat down there in Houston. That's the main reason I wanted to run the stuff since it gets about 106 degrees out here a lot in the summer.

Malibu355

Pro Stocker
Feb 21, 2009
La Marque, Texas
well we will see how it goes this weekend. i have heard of the transition slot deal before though i thought it mainly had to do with setting the secondary blades but oh well, learn something new everyday. Also when i said the screws didnt make a difference i was meaning in the stumble. the idle changed quite a bit. i know im gonna like the alky, heck i like it more already.

Malibu355

Pro Stocker
Feb 21, 2009
La Marque, Texas
things went pretty good tonight. right off the trailer went the same time i have gone the last two times out when it didnt stumble. Oh yeah, that seems to be gone as well. Hopefully it doesnt return next weekend and i can go some rounds this time. I am so digging the alcohol swap though and am 100% glad I did it. The three days i have had the alky stuff on and the good passes this thing really hasnt moved time wise and the weather flip flopped quite a bit in those days.

Here is a video my wife took. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62urVMbV79A

Malibu355

Pro Stocker
Feb 21, 2009
La Marque, Texas
Ok new best.....7.24 1/8 11.43 1/4 with a 1.56 short time. still have a lil more tuning to be done but im impressed.

Is it just me or are the 1/8 and 1/4 mile times not matching? Anyway, i think a 7.1x and 11.3x time slip is around the corner.

stafford

Frequent Racer
Jun 11, 2007
Tuttle Oklahoma
Glad to see you are liking the alcohol set up

car is looking good too.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!