Ford 8.8 swap into G-body

Norm Peterson

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2003
state of confusion
Malibu355 said:
What do you gain from a Ford 8.8 rear end. Is that better than the 8.5 GM rear end?
It's still in production and is currently being used in the S197 (2005 - up) V8 Mustangs (although as a 3-link/PHB rather than a triangulated 4-link).

Norm

art

Amateur Racer
Aug 8, 2008
Mastic, New York 11950
Not for nothing but with some care (or a trip to the machine shop) you can redrill axle flanges to any bolt pattern / style you like. It requires a little bit of geometry, patience, and a good drill press.

Jordan81

Pro Stocker
Feb 10, 2004
wichita, ks
hell, for the money you could save by buying an 8.8 (they are like 200 around here) than from buying a built 9 inch or 8.5, new wheels wouldn't be too bad to buy... and the dics brakes from the explorers will bolt on i think... don't hold me to that though

KEVINS

Amateur Racer
I have had a few people ask how this was going this week so I thought I would give an update:

Things are going very slow but they are moving forward. It's taking weeks to get quotes for the parts and some of the prototype quotes were $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!

But I did choose a vendor for the production run of parts since their quotes were real good even with the zinc plating and I received their revised quote for a prototype today and told them to make a set. =D> They said I should have protos by the end of this week but my guess is probably early next week. I'd like to get parts this week so I can see how they fit over the weekend and make modifications over the weekend if needed.

KS

A

Anonymous

Any updates? I'm very interested in how this turns out, as I'm lookin for a rearend for the Elky. I've got two 8.8's laying in the shop, which would save me the headache of finding a 12 bolt.

A

Anonymous

Any chance of getting weld on spring perches and shock mounts for this kit?

KEVINS

Amateur Racer
78gp said:
Any chance of getting weld on spring perches and shock mounts for this kit?
Right now I don't think I would have time to get them designed and out with the kit but maybe later if the need is there.

ks

A

Anonymous

Quick question are we going to be able to hook up the antiswaybars to these arms you are building or are we going to have to have something spcecial? :-k I would like to reuse my sway bar if possible. :D

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!