manual brake conversion

monte87LS

Weekend Racer
Jan 29, 2008
Marlton,NJ
it goes from the MC to the prop valve, then Im not sure what happens whats the line goes into the prop valve, I have people telling me its the thin line then I have people telling me its the thick line, from the looks of the prop valve I would say thicker line but I cant say it for sure becuase I have people telling me its thinner line, this is my first time getting this down and dirty with brakes so i just want to make sure, for saftey reasons, this is my brakes we're talking about ya know, the Wilwood 10LB residual valve only fits the thinner line too, but I called Wilwood again today and they said there are adapter fittings to make it fit the bigger line, they also have no clue what line goes where, even though they make the Kit for a G-body

BENCHSEATRACIN

Frequent Racer
I just did my manual brake conversion today.It was pretty simple.I bought my kit from Travis at http://www.dragracebrakes.com

When I talked to Travis on the phone,he said to bench bleed the new master cylinder and be sure to get every last air bubble out before installing it on the car.Only took about 5-6 minutes to get it fully bench bled.Then I drilled the new hole in the brake peddle for the new pushrod,like the directions said.Getting the brake peddle out was fairly simple too.I took out my front bucket seat and layed on the floor,that way I had plenty of room to work.I left my factory master cylinder bolted to the brake lines till I was ready to switch the lines to the new Wilwood master cylinder.I had to buy one fitting to complete my switch.On my 86 Monte Carlo,the front brake line & fitting were larger than the hole in the new Wilwood master cylinder.So I went to my local auto parts store & picked one up that adapted me up to the correct size.I took my old fittings along just to match up thread sizes.The kit looks great & fits great too!
...Mark
http://www.BenchSeatRacin.com

328195496_uB9iP-M.jpg

328195349_AJUNt-S.jpg

328195787_AduvT-M.jpg

328196320_7dM7Y-M.jpg

328196114_ZctVh-M.jpg

328194952_5S9tY-M.jpg

328196726_pyE2v-M.jpg

328196588_HYriu-M.jpg

monte87LS

Weekend Racer
Jan 29, 2008
Marlton,NJ
have you driven her yet since the manual brake swap, how does she brake now compared to before, do you feel like your Fred Flinstoning the peddle to the floor

BENCHSEATRACIN

Frequent Racer
Haven't drove it yet.The car isn't finished enough to drive.I need to cut a driveshaft for it still.The peddle feels real firm at this point.I rolled it backwards and hit the brakes to see if they bit,and they worked with very little pressure on the peddle...of course that's not driving it and stopping it from 50 or 130 mph.So far so good!I'll keep you guys posted.I'm anxious to get it going.This is my first G body,and I've been gathering parts like a mad man to build it...LOL! One of the next big things to tackle is narrowing my 12 bolt.I'm going to notch the frame rails & probably move the factory inner wheel houses inboard or maybe mini tub it,not sure yet.I've got to figure out how I'm going to box in the rear frame rails.I may have to lift the body up off the frame enough to get a welder in there,right now the floor pans are in the way of that.Kind of doing things out of order,but I'm learning as I go with this car.Here's a link to a gallery of pics as I make progress.
http://www.benchseatracin.smugmug.com/gallery/5031482_rYwX8#P-1-9
.....Mark

4spdbu

Aug 3, 2007
everett,wa
guys,I'm currently instaling a set-up from Travis,how did you guys connect the rear line to the line from the master cyl.? also the stock rear line to the master? I've been to every parts store and brake shop around and can't find any adapters,my car is a 80 malibu and will be running disc/disc and no proportioning valve.thanks for any info.

onefastermonte85

Pro Stocker
Jun 23, 2005
erie,pa
do they make any stock line pre spiraled? I suck at bending tubes.. I'm really thinking of ordering this kid after i get paid.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!