Ordered oil pan today

78Bu88SS

Dragway Regular
Nov 1, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
Any luck with that pan? Think you will be able to mock it up this weekend?

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
It didn't come in until yesterday. We tried some test fitting last night. It clears the crossmember fine. I'm not sure about how low it is going to hang at this point. When I was dropping the motor in for test fit, I noticed the passenger side frame mount was VERY worn. It definitely needs replacing. So, I could not get it properly positioned to see how low the pan will hang. I'm guessing it is going to be close to 1/2" - 1" below the crossmember, but that is nowhere near as bad as the truck pan. The front of the sump on the pan looks like it might have 1/2" clearance to the crossmember. It is very close, but it fits fine. Also, there is no clearance problem with the slope of the pan either. Again, it's pretty close, but doesn't appear to be a problem. I will know more after I get the motor mounts replaced. I plan to get it done this weekend, and shoot pictures.

78Bu88SS

Dragway Regular
Nov 1, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
Awesome. I have my motor an inch back so I should be good on all angles.

Time to put one of those on my parts to order list.

If you can get pics this weekend that would be great. I'm really interested in seeing how it fits/hangs.

Thanks man.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I'll get plenty of pics.

I may move my motor back 1" also. Especially since I need to replace at least one of the frame mounts. I'm afraid that I'm still having power steering pulley clearance issues. Moving it back would solve that issue. It may require clearancing the A/C box, though.

If you plan on moving the motor back 1", it will have PLENTY of room. The only issue is how low it will hang. I will know that this weekend. I'll post a lot of pictures this weekend.

Phillip

78Bu88SS

Dragway Regular
Nov 1, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
Yea with mine being an inch back, I should be fine.

With the truck pan having a sump of over 8.5" and the CTS V pan having only 5.5, thats a good 3inch difference. If it hangs down at all it'll only be an inch or so. Should give me another 3" of ground clearance easily lol.

A

Anonymous

ill be awaiting the pics too, alot of usefull info here.. im in the process of getting parts together for my swap..

A

Anonymous

So what's the verdict....Will the CTS-V oil pan work with the 4.8 in the stock location? I am attempting the same swap (4.8/4l60e) into an 86 monte and this looks to be the ideal setup - cheaper than an aftermarket pan and cheaper than buying an f-body pan then paying someone to modify it.

deuce_454

Amateur Racer
Jul 21, 2007
Copenhagen, Denmark
86SS86LS said:
So what's the verdict....Will the CTS-V oil pan work with the 4.8 in the stock location? I am attempting the same swap (4.8/4l60e) into an 86 monte and this looks to be the ideal setup - cheaper than an aftermarket pan and cheaper than buying an f-body pan then paying someone to modify it.

the 82-87 k member is smaller than the 78-81 malibu/el-camino so you should be able to fit your engine using your f-body pan.. but it will require some degree of setback... and if you ar erunning AC you will have to modify the coilbtacket as there will be coil-heaterbox interference...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!