Father/Son '79 Malibu project has started! (Part 1)

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
It's awesome that you finally got started on it! :awesome: If you change the interior color I'll take that dash & maybe some interior parts off your hands ;)

A

Anonymous

good to see someone work with their kids and not against them..
hope things go well

but i have a couple questions for you??

1st. the post says this car is a 79 then what year is the nose ?

2nd. im guessing the wheels are from a montie but what year's was they?

and does anyone want some wheels just like thoses i have a set that came with my car and i really dont like them and want something different
just wondering i thought about putting them on e-bay but wanted to list them as the correct title..

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
thats awesome, great to see you helping your son out and keepin the hobby going.

eldabo

Pro Stocker
Aug 10, 2006
Mobile,Alabama
I need that pimp red on my new get up mine is faded do you have the feathers to match ? Oh! and cents Im at it do you have some fly white shoes size 12 ? Just joking Looks great.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Good to see your back at it, Phillip! Projects like yours really make me wish we had been able to have kids that I could share my hobby with.

Tommy

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Thanks for the support. It felt good to get out there and turn wrenches again. Especially since my son is interested. He's kinda' laid back like his Dad, and doesn't get excited about too much, but he seems really excited about getting the Malibu "fixed-up".

Yep, black selt belts. Another reason I may decide to go with black interior. Also, if I dye the dash and some other parts, it should be pretty easy since it is a dark burgundy color to begin with.

The grill/header is off a 82-up Malibu/El Camino. It was like that when my dad bought it. I can tell there was some front end damage at one time on the car, so I guess that's when they put the different header on it.

Monte SS wheels. My Dad put them on there. Not sure what model, mid to late 80's?

I originally planned on a lift, that's why I built the garage with the high ceiling. It is something I still plan on doing. It would definitely be nice to have.

I'd really like to go all out with it (that's just the nature), but I probably will stay conservative on the restoration. I'd love to do brake upgrades, nice suspension pieces, etc. Since this will be his daily driver, and the likelihood of him wrecking it in the first couple years, I'll just pretty much do the things I've outlined. I may put some aftermarket rear control arms on it. :-k

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Those wheels are 86-88 RPO N90 Monte SS wheels, unless they use a "unilug" style lug nut with an integral washer. Then they're 80-81 RPO N90 Z28 wheels.

Tommy

You must be bringing him up right (no rice). ;)

Here is my proud papa moment.

Was crewing for my friend,runs a old school 7 second FED.

His daughter runs similar looking Jr Dragster.

My 8 year old daughter tagged along.

We were running our azz's off between the 2 cars, both being remote started etc. etc..

Anyway,we got caught up with an issue with his dragster and kinda forgot about his daughter in the staging lanes.

We hear them starting to run, Oh sh%T, look up to see my daughter pushing his daughter's Jr. threw the lanes like she had being doing it for years.

Almost brought a tear to our eyes!

Can't wait until they (I got 3 girls ) are a little older.

Enjoy the time,they sure do grow up fast

COPO 572

Dragway Regular
Mar 23, 2004
Morrisville, NC 27560
It's always cool to see a new hot rodder surface with a non-rice car. He'll have something very unique compared to all his friends.

He'll always remember building his first car with his Dad. I'm completely jealous. My 17 year old is still not interested!

Have a great time.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!