Brakes FAQ's revisited

A

Anonymous

UPPER CONTROL ARM SHAFT.

Tommy I've seen lately that there are upper control arm shafts that are offset for a better allignment af front tires. Does this mean that if I changrd the shaft that I would not have to dish out the extra big bucks for a whole new set of uppers. (78). Thats if I wanted to go with the drop spindels. Thanks. Tom.

Duts87ss

Amateur Racer
Apr 8, 2005
Ocean Springs, MS
Tom,
drop spindles require no other changes to the suspension. All they do is move the spindle up on the steering knuckle.

A

Anonymous

I think that , that is true for 79 >87, but the 78 I was told and have read that the spindles are smaller and fatter.

Duts87ss

Amateur Racer
Apr 8, 2005
Ocean Springs, MS
I think the only difference is the bearing size and brake rotor; so, you may want to just get that stuff new when you do the swap. If you havent replaced rotors and bearings in a while, they could probably use it anyway.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Re: UPPER CONTROL ARM SHAFT.

bambam said:
Tommy I've seen lately that there are upper control arm shafts that are offset for a better allignment af front tires. Does this mean that if I changrd the shaft that I would not have to dish out the extra big bucks for a whole new set of uppers. (78). Thats if I wanted to go with the drop spindels. Thanks. Tom.

If you mean to do the 1LE/B-body spindle, yes, you need the uppers. The offset shafts are only slightly offset. You'd still end up with a huge stack of shims. My GW uppers came with the offset shafts.

I reallly don't know whether the offset shafts would be any improvement with dropped spindles. Sorry. I'd guess that if the dropped spindles are made to use stock G-body uppers, the offset shafts may improve the geometry a bit, but the spindles may have the offset built-in, too. Your best bet would be to consult the spindle manufacturer.

Tommy

A

Anonymous

I spoke to Wilwood brakes this morning and told them the set up I have (listed below) and they recommend that I remove the stock prop valve that is on the fram and just add an adjustable one for the rear brakes and set them up that way?? I am now thoroughly confused. I am not sure of what to change now and what to leave. Do I buy a different master? Should I go with the steel concepts conversion above? Should I go with one of these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=260004298223&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT He's got more in stock, both power and manual.

I have a 78 Malibu, stock front disc brakes and when my rear end arrives, I will have a set of Wilwood rear disc brakes. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WIL%2D140%2D2118B&N=4294922533+400196+4294822018+4294900976+4294847526+115&autoview=sku

Last question, do manual brakes work as well as power brakes? Never driven a car with manual brakes, so not too sure? Any help would be appreciated.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
You've got way more rear brakes than the stock fronts can effectively work with. You'll have major rear lock-up problems. Unless you upgrade the front brakes, you're going to need to reduce the rear bias a LOT. You'll need an adjustable prop valve, even with the stock combo valve. You may not even be able to back the rears off enough with a prop valve.

Tommy

A

Anonymous

I shouldn't have too many problems, I hope. I run just about the same set up on my Camaro, minus the stock prop valve and added a Bear prop for the rear. Car stops on a dime.

A

Anonymous

Tommy, I got a 89 Caprice M/C The vacuum pedal rod is too long. Does the M/C assemble to the firewall or do I need a specific part?

A

Anonymous

i've been debating on how i want to go about converting my car over to manual brake also. from what i've been told from sevral people and steel concepts is w/ a disc / drum setup junk the factory power prop valve , run wilwood 10lb diversion valve in rear lines and call it a day?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!