Tremec TKO 600

malihoochie

Dragway Regular
May 28, 2004
michigan(detroit area)
MD - Did you index in your bellhousing? I've heard it a bazillion times that the TKO trans is very particular about this. There is a very informative "sticky" on http://www.pro-touring.com in the manual trans section that covers this & more.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Yes... 2nd - 3rd does 'grind' if you can call it a grind. It is very subtle and only if you drive the car like an 86 year old woman. I can SLAM 2-3 and not have a problem. I have not noticed if it does it when its cold. I just know it does it. Does it bother me? Absolutely. Makes me feel like something is going to fail right there eventually.
Speaking of failure.... no I did not check for "RUNOUT". I know this is very dangerous with the TKO. Will I check it? It is still possible. But all the indicators of the bell being off are not there. It shifts very smooth. The clutch feels perfect and now that I have a few miles on it its getting better. There are no vibrations.
Tomorrow I will have the xmember reinforced a little untill I get the boxed one from Keisler. I think that maybe a urathane transmission mount is going to be necessary too.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Here is my car just before the install of the TKO 600. It had a 327 in it as well.

Boat%20021.jpg

malihoochie

Dragway Regular
May 28, 2004
michigan(detroit area)
Wow, your car is gorgeous! One day I'll attempt to get my car's body looking that good. =D>

malihoochie

Dragway Regular
May 28, 2004
michigan(detroit area)
PS - What the hell is on your neighbors' jeep?

malihoochie

Dragway Regular
May 28, 2004
michigan(detroit area)
MeatDrapes - I noticed before that your trans has been cut behind the transmount. I am currently in the process of cutting my trans in the same area so that the crossmember has room to pass beneath the tailshaft. As the trans comes from Tremec there is a huge rib running from front to back with two beefy mount type holes (?) going from side to side. I think this is why Todd (El Coolmino) added 5" of plate to his crossmember. I also think his sits more straight from side to side than our factory ones, which sit on more of an angle - but thats just a guess. Could you please post a pic from the drivers side of your trans, similar to the one you posted before showing your tab on the crossmember? Oddly enough I didn't have a second of doubt about taking a sawzall to a trans that retails near $1800 !!

El Coolmino

Top Fueler
May 11, 2005
DSM IA under a green truck
malihoochie said:
MeatDrapes - I noticed before that your trans has been cut behind the transmount.

Hey, you're right. I never noticed either. Keisler must do that to allow the crossmember to run underneath.

That's a better solution than my crossmember tab. After paying that much, cutting it never entered my mind. Now that I think of it, that's highly unlike me :lol: . Already had the 2004r crossmember in the car, and was too lazy to slide it forward and redrill all the holes. End result- that long ugly tab

But I tell you, re-boxing the crossmember was no fun either. And I'm not particularly happy with the strength of the crossmember. But it's not flexing where I cut it, it flexes over the exhaust pipes. Once I get some other stuff sorted out, may end up with bolt-in braces under the exhaust to box the C channel, or I may ignore it until the end of time.

If you look close, you can see that aluminum rib shooting down into the cutout I had to make in the crossmember. My transmission mount looks taller than yours too. It's a std energy suspension ford mount.

MD, that's a clean looking bu. Nice.

transinstalledcrop.jpg

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
That jeep has flowers all over it. She( neighbor) bugs me..we wont get into that.

My Tremec came as you see it. I did not make any cuts whatsover. The rib must have been milled off. Today I had a gusset welded onto the crossmember because the tailshaft has been hitting when I went over bumps. I will take some pics and post a whole bunch this weekend.

I have one final problem with the install. After all the welding and the reinforced crossmember... I have naturally gained ALOT of experience. While I am no expert I like to pretend I am pretty sharp when it comes to mechanics if I can think about it and listen to the problems, and so forth ans so on. Well I have decided that my DRIVESHAFT is too long and that is my problem all along. There is virtually no room for the slip yoke to go. Its bottomed out inside the transmission. If I try to really hammer it there is some inherent movement from the rear end, especially if I break the tires lose. This causes the driveshaft to oscillate in and out and it makes the most HIDEOUS noise as it smacks whatever it is it smacks.

I took the measurement exactly as Keisler told me. Tomorrow I will take yet another measurement so Keilser can feel go about themselves then I will measure the driveshaft 10 times just because and regardless of what Keisler says... they will make me a new one.
I will keep this thread alive forever with updates about all of it..pics too.
Ill get some interior pics of the shifter while im at it. It turned out nice.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Car%20169.jpg

Car%20172.jpg

Car%20174.jpg

Car%20196.jpg

Car%20186.jpg

Car%20189.jpg

Alright. I have a picture of the new bracket I had welded on. I dont think its going to do very much..maybe a little.

The next pic is the clearance of the rib thats been milled off in relation to the top of the crossmember. Keisler removes the rib and a bracket for a torque-arm that is not used in the G-body. I didnt even know anything was there to begin with.

The next pic is my problem. There is nothing left of the slip yoke. Its burried inside the transmission. I need to shorten the driveshaft by 1/2 - 3/4 inch. Keisler will do it, but it would take weeks.

Next is the driver side on the crossmember.

The last 2 pics are what the finshed interior looks like with shifter on a 2 inch offset. PLease excuse the filthy interior ... its been raining.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!