Tremec TKO 600

malihoochie

Dragway Regular
May 28, 2004
michigan(detroit area)
:D I swapped my 7.5" rear for a 8.5" and deliberately kept the 3.42's 'cuz I figured that way I'd actually have a first gear. And w/ the way the car ran on the top end before (w/ aTH350 & 3.73's), I can't wait to feel the thing pull on the freeway now. MD - are you instantly shifting outta first w/ the 4.10's? what height rear tire do you have?

I drilled a hole in my floor w/ a 4" holesaw for the tower of the trans to come through, and then had to trim a little bit more to one side, despite my many measurements so I wouldn't have to cut more than once. :roll:
All in all my install is going well - but the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter stick & handle I chose to go with is rather short. That shifter handle is made for a Mustang and ends up nearly at the corner of my seat. It is not horrid in position but not ideal either. I'll make do for a while & if I dislike it another taller stick will get swapped in.

I also discovered that I must run a remote oil filter set up with the block plate/oil pan/headers I have. I got some Moroso relocating parts today & I'll keep you posted as I continue my quest for overdrive....

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
The TKO 600 1st gear is much better then the old saginaw. I do not shift right away as I did before. With the saginaw I could also leave in 2nd... I tried the other day with the Tremec. If I really push it I could do it but I would have to ride the clutch. I am truly impressed with the way it pulls through the first three gears. I have yet to get after it in 4th because after three I am going pretty fast.
I have a problem with the oil filter too. I had to use some serious muscle to move my headers over just enough to get the filter past the collector and the oil pan into position. I can live with it for now.
Other then my crossmember my only problem that bugs me is that when I drive in 5th gear at about 1700 rpm my engine feels like it is really stumbling. If I add just the tiniest bit of throttle it chokes and sputters then catches and takes off after a few seconds. My tuning skills need help.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
I am going to extend the driverside frame and use a later year crossmember that Keisler already has developed and in stock. I cannot wait anymore for them. I ordered the extension from G-Force crossmembers and Keisler is shipping me the later model g-body xmember next week.
Keisler says it has not been tried...all the more reason for me to go for it.
Perhaps once I am successful Keisler can just issue the frame extension to those that are in my situation. I will take pictures and post them. Give me two weeks or so.

malihoochie

Dragway Regular
May 28, 2004
michigan(detroit area)
What did they use in that Car Craft article where they put their kit in a G-body? They sound like real brilliant fellas ( [-X ) to me.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
The article used an El Camino... maybe 1984? That g-body has the longer frame rail on the driver side.
Malahoochie : Have you driven your car with the tremec in it yet? I have noticed in mine that the shift from second to third bumps the gears ever so slightly on occasion. I called Keisler about it and they stated that Tremec-TKOs are coming from the factory like that and that I am not the first to complain about it. When you drive it next... look for this and let me know.

A

Anonymous

I just read this thread for the first time tonight. Good read fellas, lotsa info! =D>

malihoochie

Dragway Regular
May 28, 2004
michigan(detroit area)
I have not driven my car yet (although there might have been a few imagined powershifts), I still have my cylinder heads off the car. :cry: Soon though, soon.

RKHiPerformance

Amateur Racer
Have you driven your car with the tremec in it yet? I have noticed in mine that the shift from second to third bumps the gears ever so slightly on occasion. I called Keisler about it and they stated that Tremec-TKOs are coming from the factory like that and that I am not the first to complain about it.

Are you saying the transmission grinds on the 2-3 change? Is that under heavy throttle or when driving normally?
Does it seem worse when the trans is cold?

El Coolmino

Top Fueler
May 11, 2005
DSM IA under a green truck
Meat Drapes said:
I have noticed in mine that the shift from second to third bumps the gears ever so slightly on occasion. I called Keisler about it and they stated that Tremec-TKOs are coming from the factory like that and that I am not the first to complain about it. When you drive it next... look for this and let me know.

Hmmm, I thought that was my sh*tty shifting skills. Wow do I feel better. It's going away, but it's partially because I learned that you just gotta bang 3rd. Shift it lightly, it can snag. Shift it crisply, and it responds. But every 30th slow, lazy 2-3 it's like you hit another gear right as it enters the gate to 3rd. Grriiiind

Personally, I don't like the big 1-2 gear spread for daily driving. Kinda makes it shift a little dump trucky IMO. I'm so far from being able to use first gear WOT that I'd honestly rather have a taller first, so the 1-2 was a little closer. But will admit the low first is nice in parking lots, cause it's unstallable at walking speeds.

15K miles later, I can even powershift 5th reliably, but a WOT 1-2 still ends horribly sometimes. :oops: Hope you guys are better.

Oh, and love my 3.50s malihoochie. I think your blown setup will respond really nicely to the gear spreads you'll end up with. Neat car.

Meat, how bout a whole car pic?

Good Luck!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!