Tremec TKO 600

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
The latest on Keisler from them. I called on monday and asked for them to send me the sheet metal early so I can be ready for whenever the transmission gets here .One of the customer reps calls me today and states that there are TWO tunnel adjustments I can go with. I could cut my ENTIRE hump out and move it back ( very original ) or go with the kit that is supplied with everything I bought. The sheet metal that comes with it is very easy to use according to them. But of course you have to buy a NEW boot and adapter which they dont tell you about until later. I tell them no.
I get home and UPS has been to the house. Much to my chagrin the boxes are from none other then KEISLER ENG. They are labeled 2 of 3 and 3 of 3. I open them and find the shifter and clutch disk and knob and all the other stuff needed for the install. The biggest suprise is the really nice looking CROSSMEMEBER!! Yes...the same one they told me would take three months. I am not complaining yet. The transmission needed to be signed for so its going to get picked up by me from UPS directly. Could things be on the up and up? I will let you know.

80bu

Dragway Regular
Aug 19, 2004
Oak grove,mo
good luck to you man,seems like that swap was a night mare.

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
Sounds like you are back on the winning streak again!

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
My first problem.
I got a clutch disk from Keilser that is 10 1/2 inches. The clutch that came out of my car is 10 3/8s ??? It seems the pressure plate is a hair too small. I have never done a clutch before. I have done valve bodies and swapped out automatics and torque convertors, but never a manual. Am I seeing things? Clutch and pressure plate say "Made in China" too. I really hate those three words with a passion.

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
I thought chevy only had 10,5" clutches and larger!?
What brand is the clutch?

I have a few new Hayes clutch discs laying around in the garage i could measure to if they too are 10 3/8".

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I think I know why you're having problems. It sounds like you bought a "Builder's Series" kit. It comes with a freebie clutch, (probably not USA made, IIRC, Keisler usually uses McLeod) and it says right on the website that the trans tunnel must be trimmed and it may not fit the console. Only the "PerfectFit" kit has the Keisler custom tailshaft/shifter that is a direct fit.

Tommy

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Ah yes, the 'Direct Fit' system from Keilser. Let me tell you, its a myth. There is NO direct fit. Its still a work in progress.
I talked to Keisler today and got NEW info regarding the crossmember. Keilser Engineering HAS NEVER built one for the 79 G-Body before. The CHP article was done on a later model El Camino that has a longer Uni-body style frame. Particularly on the driver side. Keisler is still developing the crossmember for my year. They told me that if I could come up with a suitable crossmember to fit the Tremec they would pay me!! I had told them I was tired of waiting for them to get me a ship date and I was going to modify the crossmember that was holding my Saginaw in. So now I have to get the Tremec installed and brace it with 2x4's so I can take measurements. I think the pad that the transmission sits on only needs to be moved back about 3-5 inches. I am sure a competent welder could handle that if I provide decent measurements.
The crossmember I do have is from the a similar kit that was used in the CHP article. Keisler said I could buy a frame extention from Honest Charlies and try to 'make' things fit. They have not tested this and thought I might be a good guiniea pig. NO DICE!!
In regards to the clutch, it was a 10.4 , I went ahead and bought a Centerforce dual friction setup. Its got to be better then the "Made in China" crap.
Also, the trans tunnel must be cut for even the DIRECT FIT. There is no such thing as perfect fit. Yes the transmission has a big offset, but that still does not quite do it.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Once this is all in, it better be worth it.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Interesting. I watched Shafi's guys do an install at Corvettes at Carlisle. It sure looked smooth to me. I had some problems with his stuff, too. When I ordered the conversion "kit" to put my Muncie into my 80, the master cylinder he sent me wasn't even close. I think it was for a gen II F-body. I ended up getting a Mcleod gen III F-body master to go with my John Bzdel pedal. Keisler gave me a refund on the master. All the other stuff looks beautiful. I'll find out when I finish the install.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!