Tremec TKO 600

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
I went and bought the kit that has everything for my '79 BU.
Going to relplace my stock Saginaw that I blew 1st gear out of.
I will take pictures of everything, but will need help posting them( that is if anyone is interested).
My wife is pissed, the kit was $3K and I begged for forgiveness rather then ask for permission.

A

Anonymous

I would like to do that swap someday too. 3k is a chunk of money, but it would be nice to lose the saginaw and gain a gear .......Post some pics. :)

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Meat Drapes said:
I will take pictures of everything, but will need help posting them( that is if anyone is interested).
My wife is pissed, the kit was $3K and I begged for forgiveness rather then ask for permission.
===================================================
It's hard to maintain a happy medium between the wife and buying goodies for the car. I hope you're able to work it out and not be put in the dog house for too long...good luck! 3 G's is no doubt a good chunk a change..
Jack ;)

WEBBER

Pro Stocker
Apr 25, 2004
80 miles west of Joliet IL.
Meat Drapes said:
It's easier to ask for forgiveness , than permission. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
I called Keisler Engineering today to make sure everything was going smooth. Not even close.
The transmission takes 4 weeeks. Once that arrives it must be installed AND THEN a measurement taken to have the driveshaft built. I thought the kit was already thought out and ready to go based on the year make and model. The crossmember must be custom FABRICATED from scratch and I am being told THREE MONTHS!!! Damn tunnel needs to be 'adjusted' to accept the new shifter location. Maybe there was fine print I didnt read, I thought this was going to be a little easier. I am a shade tree mechanic that keeps his tools in a tupaware thing.

beachbum29

Frequent Racer
Dec 20, 2004
Upstate, N.Y.
I've heard bits and pieces of that setup... the crossmember is a new one, hadn't heard that one before... But, I was told that it would fit the factory location? if that's not the case, I really don't want to hack up my factory 4 speed floor... please keep us posted.. I was looking into doing this swap myself...

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Yeah, they made it sound like it was a direct fit...I guess you always have to read the fine print and try to find as much feedback as you can on a product. I'm sure once you get it together, it will be awesome. The TKO is by far a stronger gear box compared to your typical T5.
Jack :roll:

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
Aftre hearing all that crap i'd go with a Richmond or buy a Tremec trans and do the rest my self.
Why pay them all that money for the kit when everything has to be custom made anyway?
Kind of like going to Mc D for lunch and buy a Chateau De Briand they don't have :lol: :lol:

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
I was under the impression everything was boxed and ready to go. The salesman left all of that out. Who knows how long my car will be out of action now. The total price was $3042. Keisler just charged my card $1K... over a week after I started this. Not sure what they are doing.
At least as I prep the car, I can fix a bunch of little stuff that needs attention. Just noticed I can see the ground through the floorboards as I peel the carpet back. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
So they have already jumped ahead and putting the hurt on you rcard huh!?

I guess that is one way to make sure they don't loose you as a customer after telling you it would take a number of weeks to get the parts...

Mmm, rust....no fun at all. But you can always do a "pimp my ride special floorboard fix" and screw some sheet metal over everything :lol: :lol:
Maybe that transmission kit was supposed to take a while so you have time to fix the rust? If you believe in fate that is...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!