700r4 that wont shift correctly

jmag460

Oct 15, 2007
neosho,mo
dont know realy where to start,i have a b&m built 700r4 if u leave it in drive ,even if u push it a little it shifts great,but if u hold it in 1st up to about 6 grand shift to 2nd it still shifts great,hold it in 2nd to abot the same rpm and reach for third it will not shift,u will have to let out of it for almost 2 to 3 seconds be fore it will finially shift to 3 rd,have adjusted the tv cable and i can make it shift easyer or just plain snap ur neck when it shifts,but alway the same result when u hold it and the rpms up it just wont shift till u let all the way out of it.i have checked and made shur that the shifter cable is adjusted correctly,new fluid and filter any ideas?oh by the way its in my 85 mcss,355 ,,,for now soon to be a new 496.

bad70nova

Weekend Racer
Jul 10, 2007
Leitchfield, KY
Just got around to seeing this message. I had the exact same problem you could not have identified it any better.

I did a complete rebuild, to include a new TCI constant pressure valve body, and upgraded everything. Cost around $500, and the problem is solved. Shifts great in every gear and over drive works great.

If you want to try the less expensive rout look at the governor, but i did nothing to my governor but remove and replace. Hope this helps.

468cibu

Daily Driver
Nov 14, 2010
Poughkeepsie, NY
Had the same problem, transgo shift kits come with a high rev spring for the 2-3 shift. The stock configuration does not allow shift past 5500 rpm. Check out probuilt transmissions in CA. They seem to be the best around for 700r4 info and parts. you can email [email protected], or call Dana@(909)795-1876.

I know this is an old post but hope it will help others with this problem.

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
i had same problem after rebuild on my 700..used a b+m gov. recalibration kit super easy..got my shift points to 5400 where i like em..the gov pops out for easy access

JBreu

Frequent Racer
Jan 31, 2010
Livonia. New York
I have the same exact issue with my 700r4.....I've even put a thread on it I think here, but for sure on GBF. I haven't got the problem fixed yet. But these are good ideas!!!!

JBreu

Frequent Racer
Jan 31, 2010
Livonia. New York
I went with the new valve body and shift kit from CKPerformance.com at the advice of many people...Also went with the 3200 PTC race converter, non lock up, with the converter conversion valve....Had it all installed this past week and picked it up today...Man what a difference, well worth the money!!! I highly reccomend CKPerformance.Com for shift kits and PTC for converters , ptcrace.com for converters!!! My transmission guy also replaced the 3/4 clutch pack while he was at it. I can't wait to get her to the track for some numbers after the improvements .

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!