Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TECHNICAL » Transmission Technical

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 43  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:40 pm 
Dragway Regular

:D I swapped my 7.5" rear for a 8.5" and deliberately kept the 3.42's 'cuz I figured that way I'd actually have a first gear. And w/ the way the car ran on the top end before (w/ aTH350 & 3.73's), I can't wait to feel the thing pull on the freeway now. MD - are you instantly shifting outta first w/ the 4.10's? what height rear tire do you have?

I drilled a hole in my floor w/ a 4" holesaw for the tower of the trans to come through, and then had to trim a little bit more to one side, despite my many measurements so I wouldn't have to cut more than once. :roll:
All in all my install is going well - but the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter stick & handle I chose to go with is rather short. That shifter handle is made for a Mustang and ends up nearly at the corner of my seat. It is not horrid in position but not ideal either. I'll make do for a while & if I dislike it another taller stick will get swapped in.

I also discovered that I must run a remote oil filter set up with the block plate/oil pan/headers I have. I got some Moroso relocating parts today & I'll keep you posted as I continue my quest for overdrive....

'69 camaro - 2 stage nos bbc,th400,4.10 12 bolt
"Work in progress"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:23 pm 
Dragway Regular

The TKO 600 1st gear is much better then the old saginaw. I do not shift right away as I did before. With the saginaw I could also leave in 2nd... I tried the other day with the Tremec. If I really push it I could do it but I would have to ride the clutch. I am truly impressed with the way it pulls through the first three gears. I have yet to get after it in 4th because after three I am going pretty fast.
I have a problem with the oil filter too. I had to use some serious muscle to move my headers over just enough to get the filter past the collector and the oil pan into position. I can live with it for now.
Other then my crossmember my only problem that bugs me is that when I drive in 5th gear at about 1700 rpm my engine feels like it is really stumbling. If I add just the tiniest bit of throttle it chokes and sputters then catches and takes off after a few seconds. My tuning skills need help.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:24 pm 
Dragway Regular

rear tire is a 255 60 16

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:47 pm 
Dragway Regular

I am going to extend the driverside frame and use a later year crossmember that Keisler already has developed and in stock. I cannot wait anymore for them. I ordered the extension from G-Force crossmembers and Keisler is shipping me the later model g-body xmember next week.
Keisler says it has not been tried...all the more reason for me to go for it.
Perhaps once I am successful Keisler can just issue the frame extension to those that are in my situation. I will take pictures and post them. Give me two weeks or so.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:22 pm 
Dragway Regular

What did they use in that Car Craft article where they put their kit in a G-body? They sound like real brilliant fellas ( [-X ) to me.

"Work in progress"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:36 pm 
Dragway Regular

The article used an El Camino... maybe 1984? That g-body has the longer frame rail on the driver side.
Malahoochie : Have you driven your car with the tremec in it yet? I have noticed in mine that the shift from second to third bumps the gears ever so slightly on occasion. I called Keisler about it and they stated that Tremec-TKOs are coming from the factory like that and that I am not the first to complain about it. When you drive it next... look for this and let me know.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:01 pm 

I just read this thread for the first time tonight. Good read fellas, lotsa info! =D>

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:36 am 
Dragway Regular

I have not driven my car yet (although there might have been a few imagined powershifts), I still have my cylinder heads off the car. :cry: Soon though, soon.

"Work in progress"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:38 am 
Amateur Racer

Quote:
Have you driven your car with the tremec in it yet? I have noticed in mine that the shift from second to third bumps the gears ever so slightly on occasion. I called Keisler about it and they stated that Tremec-TKOs are coming from the factory like that and that I am not the first to complain about it.

Are you saying the transmission grinds on the 2-3 change? Is that under heavy throttle or when driving normally?
Does it seem worse when the trans is cold?

2010 Camaro RS/SS

1986 Monte Carlo SS
GN-Powered
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e274/ ... /MCTBS.jpg

1984 Monte Carlo SS
Rat-Powered
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e274/ ... ff9b48.jpg

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:28 pm 
Top Fueler

Meat Drapes wrote:
I have noticed in mine that the shift from second to third bumps the gears ever so slightly on occasion. I called Keisler about it and they stated that Tremec-TKOs are coming from the factory like that and that I am not the first to complain about it. When you drive it next... look for this and let me know.

Hmmm, I thought that was my sh*tty shifting skills. Wow do I feel better. It's going away, but it's partially because I learned that you just gotta bang 3rd. Shift it lightly, it can snag. Shift it crisply, and it responds. But every 30th slow, lazy 2-3 it's like you hit another gear right as it enters the gate to 3rd. Grriiiind

Personally, I don't like the big 1-2 gear spread for daily driving. Kinda makes it shift a little dump trucky IMO. I'm so far from being able to use first gear WOT that I'd honestly rather have a taller first, so the 1-2 was a little closer. But will admit the low first is nice in parking lots, cause it's unstallable at walking speeds.

15K miles later, I can even powershift 5th reliably, but a WOT 1-2 still ends horribly sometimes. :oops: Hope you guys are better.

Oh, and love my 3.50s malihoochie. I think your blown setup will respond really nicely to the gear spreads you'll end up with. Neat car.

Meat, how bout a whole car pic?

Good Luck!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:05 pm 
Dragway Regular

MD - Did you index in your bellhousing? I've heard it a bazillion times that the TKO trans is very particular about this. There is a very informative "sticky" on http://www.pro-touring.com in the manual trans section that covers this & more.

"Work in progress"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:10 pm 
Dragway Regular

Yes... 2nd - 3rd does 'grind' if you can call it a grind. It is very subtle and only if you drive the car like an 86 year old woman. I can SLAM 2-3 and not have a problem. I have not noticed if it does it when its cold. I just know it does it. Does it bother me? Absolutely. Makes me feel like something is going to fail right there eventually.
Speaking of failure.... no I did not check for "RUNOUT". I know this is very dangerous with the TKO. Will I check it? It is still possible. But all the indicators of the bell being off are not there. It shifts very smooth. The clutch feels perfect and now that I have a few miles on it its getting better. There are no vibrations.
Tomorrow I will have the xmember reinforced a little untill I get the boxed one from Keisler. I think that maybe a urathane tranny mount is going to be necessary too.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:17 pm 
Dragway Regular

Here is my car just before the install of the TKO 600. It had a 327 in it as well.

Last edited by Meat Drapes on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:46 am 
Dragway Regular

Wow, your car is gorgeous! One day I'll attempt to get my car's body looking that good. =D>

"Work in progress"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:10 pm 
Dragway Regular

PS - What the #### is on your neighbors' jeep?

"Work in progress"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 43  Next

Board index » TECHNICAL » Transmission Technical